980 Ti

Home --- Forums --- General Discussion --- Off-Topic --- 980 Ti

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  NZSimian 2 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

CMDR Mutantrex
    Participant
    Triarii

I am wanting to get a 980 Ti, but after some looking there are about a dozen different 980 ti’s anyone know anything and can point me toward the best one? I definitely want one with a backplate, but I don’t know the difference between say the superclocked and the FTW version?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Master of Chunks

Xsannz
    CenturionAngel of DiscoveryAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement MissionAngel of Trade

without stupid gimmicky water cooling etc or super hyped LN2 etc shit you will never actually do.

the two best cards on the market with air coolers are

Gigabyte 980ti G1  – mine stock clocks itself to 1400mhz , and with a +150mhz bump i can get a stable 1498 clock with 100% load temps of 75c  on an ambient temperature of 23degrees in the house..

and the Evga FTW

what is your old card?  and how much do you want for it i still need one for the kids pc as the 6970 Damorgs had for me got grapejuiced by his kid.

Assistant Angeli Imperial Custodian (Wangal)

Qui Desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum. | Quis custodiet Ipsos custodes.
    Nascentes morimur. | Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati

CMDR Mutantrex
    Participant
    Triarii

Lol haha. That would suck. And right now I’m on a msi gtx 970. And this would be down the road a bit. I am just trying to get educated right now.

Also what do you mean by gimmicky water cooling. Is water cooling no good on a graphics card?

Master of Chunks

mudskipper
    Participant
    Foederati

Stock Twin cooling on my 970GTX, similair to the twin Frozor system on a few cards, cool and quiet even with heavy lifting.

Water cooling has only a few if any Degrees difference from air unless yes your are into Uber systems and some are actually louder with their radiators spinning hard with teeny fans over the sink. My Noctua Dual fan for CPU is whisper quiet and awesome.

Masterandpuppet
    Participant
    Foederati

If you look on the manufacturer’s website you can see clock speeds which show the difference between the SC and FTW. FTW is slightly faster but unless you find a deal you pay more money for not much more performance. Make sure you get the acx cooler, not the reference single fan design to keep things cooler and quiet.

I’ve got the gigabyte 980ti G1 myself and can highly recommend it. Both cards have a great warranty.

As for water cooling, which is a bit off topic. It’s awesome if you put the effort, time and money into it. My system is fully water cooled and this is my 3rd and I will won’t be going back to air for a few years at least.

CMDR Mutantrex
    Participant
    Triarii

I actually am water cooling my cpu and love it. My 970 has the twin frozor V fans they are great. So I will go with the twin fan design then. Definitely going to go for the ftw or the g1

Master of Chunks

Masterandpuppet
    Participant
    Foederati

Yea MSI coolers are good too. I’ve had several of their cards and had no issues at all. Only reason I suggest EVGA is their warranty is great across their whole range. Don’t think MSI is as long, 2 years not 3 last I checked.

CMDR Mutantrex
    Participant
    Triarii

There are so many 980 ti’s to choose from!!!

This one??

Master of Chunks

Xsannz
    CenturionAngel of DiscoveryAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement MissionAngel of Trade

I am gettign a second one of the above models.

Masterandpuppet
    Participant
    Foederati

Both are epic. I went with the G1 but either will do…

NZSimian
    Participant
    CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

@xsannz; pbtech sale today… Damn I wish I had some spare coin…

Xsannz

@nzsimian yeah man, i wish i did too,  my company bonus has been delayed till next months pay, which means all that gear i am waiting on has to wait and i cant take advantage of pbtehcs sale..   FML

what were you going to get?

NZSimian
    Participant
    CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

I was even just looking at getting a further 8GB DDr4 RAM, since that would allow dual-channel operation on my mainboard.

It’s more in the ‘nice to have’ than ‘neeeeeed’ basket at the moment, though.  And it’s only $20 less than normal RRP.

But I did see a 480GB SSD for ~$167, which made me a little twitchy…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.