between money and fun

Home --- Forums --- General Discussion --- Elite: Dangerous Discussion --- between money and fun

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Triarii

ED is in many ways pretty old school … making mistakes is very unpleasant and progress is steady but slow … gain is well balanced between investment, risk and excitement.

its still possible to powerplay all your way up.

my question today is: “do you do this?”

(there was this video .. sidewinder to anaconda in 24h … a pretty sad guide … what i would have missed, if i would have followed it …)

to be true .. i am way beyond my goals for this game, i set early. i started pretty chaotic, than just wanted an ASP, because i had the idea that this was the most universal ship in the game (and i kind of still think thats true) … it was the last million to the ASP that i did grinding for money (for me: thats trading. i dont like it, but it brings money fastest). it wasnt to fun … but i got my ASP … from this time on i played again for fun … till i got pretty close to the phyton. again than … i started grinding … and the same thing all over: happy to have this new ship .. i played for fun … and now … well now i am again pretty close to the anaconda … and again i have this strange urge to grind to this target.

how did you reach you goals? have you reached it? is the game over, once you have an anaconda or does it start than?

:: Si vis pacem, para bellum ::

Participant
      Centurion

Hello Aurelius,

My goal was set before I even bought the game.  I wanted my very own Clipper.  Later that moved on to an Anaconda which I have since achieved as well.

My advancement has changed quite a bit throughout the time I’ve played the game.  I started out using a mouse (waiting for my HOTAS to be delivered) and I could not wrap my head around quick maneuvering with it which meant I stuck with Bulletin board mission until I got my Viper.  After that I quickly moved over to bounty hunting, this carried me from my Viper, to a Vulture, through my Clipper and a bit beyond.

Once I got my Clipper I started PvP bounty hunting exclusively for more than a month.  This pulled in a lot of cash, but I got spooked when I first lost my Clipper in a close fight with an FDL and the insurance cost was tremendous.  I barely had 100K left after the payment, and some module reductions.  I desperately wanted to keep my wonderful ship, so I moved to trading.

Trading bored me to tears for the most part.  But while trading (usually late at night after work) I started listening to some podcasts again and I found something strangely rewarding about it.  I kept my Clipper but later purchased a T7 and moved from that to a Trading Python.  After that I was able to do some creative module sales and shipyard research to create a trading Anaconda for less than 145M credits.  That ship got me cash very, very fast.

I later purchased a Diamondback Explorer and went on a buckyball run, but after some pirate attacks in Wangal my vacation was cut short and I returned to help defend from some aggressive CMDRs.

I loved exploring, Powerplay (Undermining), PvP and PvE Bounty Hunting.  I find those career field to be very fulfilling but Trading by far got me the most cash the fastest.

To answer your question about what it feels like to have earned an Anaconda?  That one is probably different depending upon who you ask.  I think that the Anaconda give you two unique opportunities;
      1) It is a very reliable platform for any activity you want to do.  The Anaconda is similar to the Python (and to a degree the Clipper) in that you can invest many times more money into the ship than the hull is worth.  Giving you a tremendous number of options and possible play time with the ship.
      2) I still have never owned an FDL of my own.  This is something I am working towards, and the Anaconda enables me to get there much, much faster than any of the other ships could.  So in some ways, the Anaconda allows me to experience what the other ships have to offer as well, without the time investment it would otherwise require.

Best regards,

HIP 20199 - Assistant to the Custodian

An Epitome of Elegance... And Class

Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

My experience really began with bulletin board missions, taking all missions that offered good money. Then it came to hunting wanted pirates, I could get the mission money, plus what they were worth with a KW scan. I went from Sidewinder to Cobra to ASP quickly.

My experience with trading was poor, I didn’t know how to use the galaxy map to find good trade routes and lost money quite consistently.

I sold the ASP and purchased my first Imperial Clipper, as this was my early goal. I got into it far too soon and learnt the hard way to always carry enough credit for a rebuy.
      I spent a lot of time at Nav Beacons, KW scanning wanted NPCs and upgrading. My PvP experiences were about as successful as my trading. The speed of the Clipper saved me, many many times. It was like everyone I came across wanted to shoot me down. I had no interest in the conflict and thought we’d all just get along, lol, oh, how I have learnt 🙂

A-grading the Clipper took a while. Found the money in res sites to be awesome. Bought quite a few ships, I didn’t use, sold them, bought the FDL, A-graded it, res sites, res sites, res sites. Converted Clipper to cargo transport, was profitable, but boring.
      Sold the Clipper 🙁 Bought an Anaconda and fitted it for 400 ton trading. Good profit, but I found it on par with res site hunting.

Sold Anaconda and A-graded a Python for more res site action. I still take the FDL to res sites, I think it might be better with the outfitting I have, but I’m trying to get better with the Python’s 3 advanced plasma cannons, they rock PvP 🙂

I can sum all this up: There is good money in death.

In the name of the Empire!

Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

I’ve drifted a lot in what I do in game – mostly coming back to making things go BOOM, however.

I went through the small traders (hauler & the other one that @hazara likes so much), until I had the money for a Cobra.

Made a few bad decisions along the way, and jumped into a Viper to take my revenge.  On everything.

Spent a lot of time mucking around in a Viper, got recommended to come down to Wangal, and spent quite a lot of time shooting things for Wangal Energy Partners.  Not great money at that time, mainly because of my Pilots Federation rank.

Once I got near to the money required for a Vulture, I did some grinding in a T6, again for Wangal Energy Partners.

Once in the Vulture, I stayed there for months, exclusively shooting things (High RES, occasional PVP), building rep & having fun.

Mucked around in a Courier for a while, and decided I wanted, no, needed a larger Gutamaya ship.

After a disastrous night in a T6, bought an Asp and went travelling.

Came back, and bought a Clipper – a bit early as it turned out, so garaged it while I made money on any combat CG I could, to drop into the Clipper.

Used the Clipper for PVP, trading, undermining, and, well, enjoying the game.

We had a few weeks where I was running fortification for Wangal – which was grindy but still made enough money to properly kit out the Clipper.

Currently in an FdL – definitely a bounty hunter’s dream, but I’ll be getting the Clipper back out soon to muck around.

Basically, I think the thing I like with this game, is that if it does feel a bit grindy, there are many other things to do.  Or see.  Or blow up.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.