Can't Update Windows

Home --- Forums --- General Discussion --- Off-Topic --- Can't Update Windows

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Psylem 2 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

DAMORGS
    SenatorFounding AngelAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

Hi Gents,

Had this issue for a few months now and it’s really starting to shit me.  When I try to restart/shutdown the pc seems to crap itself.  I’ll click shutdown and it’ll actually restart.  But it will take ages (10-15 minutes sometimes).

I also now have this…

Capture

No matter what I don’t it just can’t update.  I’m tearing my hair out here.

NZSimian
    Participant
    CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

What sort of events are in the event logs during the shutdown/restart?

Disk healthy, plenty of room?
    AV up to date?
    Didn’t you change your video card a few months ago? Was that from nvidia to amd? Old drivers still on machine?

Psylem
    Participant
    Principes

I’ve had issues like this in the past with Win7. Not on Win10 though. Try going into Control Panel > Windows Update and click the “View update history” link.

If any of the updates are failing, you can black list them to hide the problem. Go into the list of available updates, right-click and Hide. Then Windows will stop trying to install it. But then you don’t get the (possibly very important) update.

Google “KB###### failed”, and some smart guy will usually have an actual fix for you.

Do you have a dual-boot setup? I had an issue with an update refusing to apply that was due to dual boot. Luckily for me the solution was to unplug the drive that had linux on it and let Windows update as if it was the only OS. But that was only possible because I had them on separate hard drives, some people were not so lucky and just had to disable that update and hope it wasn’t too critical, as MS weren’t interested in fixing it at all.

NZSimian
    Participant
    CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

//rant

I blame Windows 10.

Weird shit just happens; take for example, my keyboard.

It’s a Microsoft Ergonomic 4000.  It’s designed for Windows.  It has Windows 10 drivers.

They’re WHQL drivers.  You know, certified to work.

Along the top row, there’s a set of keys that you can program, if the drivers are installed.

So, I set one key to press my secondary fire, and hold it for ten seconds (save me killing a key while scanning systems…).  That’s the limit of my l33t macro programming skillz.

All working well … until Friday night, about 8PM.

When the keyboard decided that the top row of keys didn’t exist.

Not just windows not interpreting them, the keys ceased to function.

The keyboard still works in Linux on another machine, suggesting driver-level.

After a marathon install/uninstall, driver hacking, swearing, and eventual giving up, this evening the keys started working again.  Awesome, lock the computer, will look later.

Then they weren’t.

Crap, reboot.

Now they are.

Event logs?  Clear.  No errors of note.

And no, for those who would suggest such a thing, no beer in the keyboard.

I get similar happen with the USB 3.1 controller (which happens to be the only free USB port I had, so it’s where the HOTAS sits).  Sometimes, a for roughly a week, it’ll stop working.  Then start again as if it was just on holiday.

*Sigh*

Psylem
    Participant
    Principes

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.