Comments on my theory-crafted Eagle build?

Home --- Forums --- Angeli Imperial Operations --- Combat Forum --- Comments on my theory-crafted Eagle build?

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Principes

I already iterated this pretty heavily with help over on the official forums, but any suggestions are welcome.

http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=60L,5QG5QG9pC3wo,333I4s4s1k3I3c3c,7Pc7dq9ok

• -The railgun is to punch above my weight or for quick kills, not for sustained usage.
      • -I wanted beam lasers but was told they would generate too much heat

Equipment                                   Priority

• 2x 1F Fixed Pulse Laser                  4
      • 1x 1D Railgun                                    3
      • 1x 0E Kill Warrant Scanner             4
      • 1x 3A Thrusters                                 1
      • 1x 3A Frame Shift Drive                  5
      • 1x 1A Life Support                            2
      • 1x 2A Power Distributor                  1
      • 1x 2C Sensors                                   2
      • 1x 3A Shield Generator                    1
      • 1x 2B Shield Cell Bank                     1
      • 1x 1A FSD Interdictor                      5
      • 1x H1 Cargo Hatch                           5-OFF
      Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

Welcome aboard – hope to see you in space some time.

Hey, to be brutally honest if you’re looking at spending that sort of money, I would put it into a viper.

Your survivability will be higher, and you’ll be able to run the equipment better.  And vipers are serious fun.

The priority order that you’re giving here would have your guns disabled in preference to your KWS and sensors…

I can’t comment much on Eagles, as I sold my freeagle very early on, to generate capital for trading.

Participant
      Principes

Welcome aboard – hope to see you in space some time. Hey, to be brutally honest if you’re looking at spending that sort of money, I would put it into a viper. Your survivability will be higher, and you’ll be able to run the equipment better. And vipers are serious fun. The priority order that you’re giving here would have your guns disabled in preference to your KWS and sensors… I can’t comment much on Eagles, as I sold my freeagle very early on, to generate capital for trading.

Thanks for the welcome. Is it viable to go straight to wangal in a stock sidey with 7ly jump range? If it is I’ll likely trade my way over there (or maybe even just sell the cargo racks and scanner for insurance money if I’m being daring lol) right away.

a) it’s my intent to fly an eagle not a viper. My only real complain if anything is the speed, despite being a light fighter they’re actually SLOOOOWWWWW for a combat ship which can potentially cause problems in PVP since faster and more durable ships can force a joust which is BAD (but I gather that the AI isn’t smart enough to do it, so there’s that I guess).

Notably cobra and viper especially while boosting are the real issues, with clipper and orca as honourable mentions due to high non-boost speed. If it becomes enough of an issue to prevent my enjoyment then yes, I will be switching to a viper.

b)  Actually it’s not “disabling guns in favour of KWS and sensors” with hardpoints retracted I can run everything bar cargo hatch, with hardpoints deployed I can run either lasers + KWS or railgun by itself, with hatch, FSD, and interdictor disabled. Since the railgun isn’t online 24/7, only onlined/offlined when I want it probably via AHK macro, it goes on a higher power priority so that onlining it overrides lasers and KWS.

To go into a little more detail, priority 1 and 2 is in case I take battle damage that reduces my power output I don’t suddenly lose shields or something. Priority 3 is so that when I online my railgun it will override lasers and KWS. Priority 3-5 is so that deploying hardpoints will override FSD and interdictor. Contemplating moving SCB to prio 2 to give more free power to thrusters distributor and shields in case of power loss.

Really I wish there was more than 5 settings, then I could make it like this:
      Equipment                                   Priority

• 2x 1F Fixed Pulse Laser                  6
      • 1x 1D Railgun                                    5
      • 1x 0E Kill Warrant Scanner             7
      • 1x 3A Thrusters                                 1
      • 1x 3A Frame Shift Drive                  8
      • 1x 1A Life Support                            4
      • 1x 2A Power Distributor                  3
      • 1x 2C Sensors                                   4
      • 1x 3A Shield Generator                    2
      • 1x 2B Shield Cell Bank                     3
      • 1x 1A FSD Interdictor                      8
      • 1x H1 Cargo Hatch                           OFF

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by AvatarCMDR OJ191.
      SenatorFounding AngelAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

I can’t really comment on the outfitting, but as far as getting to Wangal I’m fairly confident you’ll need at least a minimum 10LY jump range.

There are CMDRS here who have pade the pilgrimage recently will be able to give you more info.

Participant
      Principes

I can’t really comment on the outfitting, but as far as getting to Wangal I’m fairly confident you’ll need at least a minimum 10LY jump range. There are CMDRS here who have pade the pilgrimage recently will be able to give you more info.

OK thanks. maybe do some res or nav hunting near start systems, get my eagle and a D rated FSD will only cost 57k, make it 65-70k for insurance and shouldn’t take too long at all I hope depending on how ballsy I get with taking on bounties.

Or I could just go for a C class FSD on the sidey, but eh.

Participant
      Principes

You could sell up and get a Hauler with at least a C FSD just to make your way to Wangal? Would only be looking 70k, then could get a Viper, etc there?

Whoops, ignore that, the Sidey could make it with an upgraded drive cheaper. 🙂

Participant
        Principes

You could sell up and get a Hauler with at least a C FSD just to make your way to Wangal? Would only be looking 70k, then could get a Viper, etc there? Whoops, ignore that, the Sidey could make it with an upgraded drive cheaper. :)

yeah depending on how long it’s taking to get the cash I can either get a C-grade FSD on my sidewinder for 16k or I can get a D-grade FSD and C-grade fuel scoop Eagle for 62k minus trade-in plus insurance safety margin.

I mean I guess I could get a C FSD C scoop hauler for 72k minus trade-in plus insurance and have 16 jump range vs 10, but it’s probably good to get used to flying the eagle anyway and damorgs reckoned 10 would be sufficient, unless someone has better data?

Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

A few members have made the forced pilgrimage back to Wangal recently in sideys… So as a cheap taxi that might be an option to get down here 🙂

Participant
      CenturionAngel of Strategy

Welcome aboard.  Great Enthusiasm

Someone made it down here the other week with a D Class FSD in a Sidey and a 1D Fuel Scoop. (Might have to sell the weapons to lose weight.)

Suppose it depends on your start area, but this should be possible.

As for the Eagle, in many ways it doesn’t matter what other people think, as long as it works for you and you’re having fun flying it.

That said, if you want to read them, he’s a few ideas from me.

Firstly my build:

[Eagle]                                                Priority
      S: 1F/G Pulse Laser                               2
      S: 1E/F Beam Laser                              2
      S: 1E/G Cannon                                     2
      U: 0C Kill Warrant Scanner                3
      BH: 1I Lightweight Alloy
      RB: 2A Power Plant                              1
      TM: 3A Thrusters                                 1
      FH: 3A Frame Shift Drive                   4
      EC: 1E Life Support                              2
      PC: 2A Power Distributor                   1
      SS: 2D Sensors                                      1
      FS: 2C Fuel Tank (Capacity: 4)
      3: 3A Shield Generator                        1
      2: 1B Shield Cell Bank                          1 Turned Off
      1: 1A Fuel Scoop                                    4

Cargo hatch                                           4

Fire Groups            1                        2                        3

Gim Pulse 1        Gim Pulse 1         Gim Pulse 1

KWS 2          Fixed Beam 2   Gim Cannon 2

To compare it to yours:

I’d take a cannon over the railgun because it too hits above its weight but has a larger ammo count, and uses less power so I can fit the Beam.

I normally always use D grade Life Support and Sensors to reduce weight and power use, but unfortunately had to go right down to E grade Life Support here. Still time to get back to a station.  If you’re in a system where the station is a long way away, plan an escape route to a nearby system.

I’ve used a smaller SCB, which when turned on disables the KW scanner, but it still delivers over 50% charge to my shields.

Obviously the Fuel Scoop and even the SCB can be swapped out for interdictors, cargo etc as needed.

As far as PvP goes the Eagle is easy prey for every other combat ship and most of the Multi-roles as well.

That said, you won’t have to fly alone, an Eagle as a wingman is always welcome and this is when that railgun will come into it’s own.  As our enemies are attacking the bigger threats you can be disabling their drives.

All said, go with what you think will suit you.

Remember to jump on TS or add us as friends from the game menu before you set off on your trip down here.  That way if you run into trouble or have urgent questions, one of us may be able to help you out.

Participant
      Principes

Welcome aboard. Great Enthusiasm Someone made it down here the other week with a D Class FSD in a Sidey and a 1D Fuel Scoop. (Might have to sell the weapons to lose weight.) Suppose it depends on your start area, but this should be possible.

Yeah IDK damorg said 10ly should be OK so if he’s right this build could work http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=601,5QG5QG,2-3w3w3m2M2C2C22,7OgmpT4wY

As for the Eagle, in many ways it doesn’t matter what other people think, as long as it works for you and you’re having fun flying it. That said, if you want to read them, he’s a few ideas from me. Firstly my build: [Eagle] Priority S: 1F/G Pulse Laser 2 S: 1E/F Beam Laser 2 S: 1E/G Cannon 2 U: 0C Kill Warrant Scanner 3 BH: 1I Lightweight Alloy RB: 2A Power Plant 1 TM: 3A Thrusters 1 FH: 3A Frame Shift Drive 4 EC: 1E Life Support 2 PC: 2A Power Distributor 1 SS: 2D Sensors 1 FS: 2C Fuel Tank (Capacity: 4) 3: 3A Shield Generator 1 2: 1B Shield Cell Bank 1 Turned Off 1: 1A Fuel Scoop 4 Cargo hatch 4 Fire Groups 1 2 3 Gim Pulse 1 Gim Pulse 1 Gim Pulse 1 KWS 2 Fixed Beam 2 Gim Cannon 2

Interesting build though I still want to try out mine 😉

To compare it to yours: I’d take a cannon over the railgun because it too hits above its weight but has a larger ammo count, and uses less power so I can fit the Beam. I normally always use D grade Life Support and Sensors to reduce weight and power use, but unfortunately had to go right down to E grade Life Support here. Still time to get back to a station. If you’re in a system where the station is a long way away, plan an escape route to a nearby system. I’ve used a smaller SCB, which when turned on disables the KW scanner, but it still delivers over 50% charge to my shields. Obviously the Fuel Scoop and even the SCB can be swapped out for interdictors, cargo etc as needed.

I had a build setup that used beams but was told they would generate too much heat.

Something like the following, but requires power juggling to use KWS probably a macro would work best and have it offline life support or something then I can swap it back after scanning idk. I prefer to have both beam or both pulse though IMO so dual beam very well could cause heat issues. Plus with pulse build I only have to manually manage the railgun online/offline and less things to manage is always good.

http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=60L,4ws4ws9pC3wo,333I4s4s223I3w3c,7Pc7d_9ok

As far as PvP goes the Eagle is easy prey for every other combat ship and most of the Multi-roles as well. That said, you won’t have to fly alone, an Eagle as a wingman is always welcome and this is when that railgun will come into it’s own. As our enemies are attacking the bigger threats you can be disabling their drives. All said, go with what you think will suit you. Remember to jump on TS or add us as friends from the game menu before you set off on your trip down here. That way if you run into trouble or have urgent questions, one of us may be able to help you out.

Yes one of the many reasons I want a railgun 😉

As for easy prey, I’ve been under the impression it’s maneuverability is boss and only really has to worry about faster ships that can force jousts (viper cobra and MAYBE clipper and orca), and en-masse high class turrets. Though in PvP perhaps flight assist off shenanigans will tip the scales against.

Inactive

Looks like an interesting Build for the Eagle, switching the Rail gun on and off can become quick with practice, if you remember to set the sectors over it before battle.

We never did get that wing of four of them going did we

It would be good to see one co-ordinated wings of small ships/ each with a strength to offer the group, especially when it comes to interdictors, cargo, KWS & FSWS which can be spread amongst the wing

Keymaster
      SenatorFounding AngelAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.

Looks like an interesting Build for the Eagle, switching the Rail gun on and off can become quick with practice, if you remember to set the sectors over it before battle. We never did get that wing of four of them going did we It would be good to see one co-ordinated wings of small ships/ each with a strength to offer the group, especially when it comes to interdictors, cargo, KWS & FSWS which can be spread amongst the wing

I would love to see that, like a swarm of bees.

Maybe a flight of couriers/vultures could have the same effect.

4 heavily specialized vultures would be THE BOMB!!!

Participant
      Principes

Looks like an interesting Build for the Eagle, switching the Rail gun on and off can become quick with practice, if you remember to set the sectors over it before battle. We never did get that wing of four of them going did we It would be good to see one co-ordinated wings of small ships/ each with a strength to offer the group, especially when it comes to interdictors, cargo, KWS & FSWS which can be spread amongst the wing

I would love to see that, like a swarm of bees. Maybe a flight of couriers/vultures could have the same effect. 4 heavily specialized vultures would be THE BOMB!!!

Vultures are already waaaaaay too prevalent from what I’ve read lol

Inactive

I would love to see that, like a swarm of bees. Maybe a flight of couriers/vultures could have the same effect. 4 heavily specialized vultures would be THE BOMB!!!

And Vultures have far fewer style points than a Flight of Eagles or Sidewinders

Participant
      Principes

And Vultures have far fewer style points than a Flight of Eagles or Sidewinders

Right now I’m just imagining a wing of 4 eagles with triple railguns…

All shoot at the same target and boom! then you overheat for 5 minute xD

edit: like this http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=60L,9pC9pC9pC3we,313I4s4s1k3I3w3c,7Q49qI7cG

all prio 1 except fsd interdictor SCB prio 2 cargo hatch off

edit2: that makes me think… 3a-3d shield gen drops 102mj to 84mj maybe that’s worth it to keep my railgun online all the time? Or am I going to want the extra 16mj shields?

SenatorFounding AngelAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

Right let’s do this!

I’m angry, the Queen has gone, leaving me bitter and succumbing to the Dark Side.  I’m up for this.

Participant
        Principes

Can you handle a triple rail orca though?

Participant
        Triarii

I’m ready!

-X

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.

Eat Plasma!

Participant
      Principes

Can you handle a triple rail orca though?

never seen an orca lol

it’s doing aight

works best in wings with someone tankier drawing agro but overall its nice.

Participant

Right let’s do this! I’m angry, the Queen has gone, leaving me bitter and succumbing to the Dark Side. I’m up for this.

Pardon my ignorance…but what happened to the Queen?

I just read the post! Noooooooooooooooo Queen Latifah! That isn’t right mate 🙁
      I managed to embed my Clipper inside an asteroid once. It’s almost enough to make me start mining the filthy beasts…almost.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.