Crazy shit you get up to when not playing ED?

Home --- Forums --- General Discussion --- Off-Topic --- Crazy shit you get up to when not playing ED?

This topic contains 69 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Xsannz 1 year, 11 months ago.

• Author

Hazara
    Participant
    CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

Here’s one of mine…

What is it?

CMDR Ping
    Keymaster
    SenatorFounding AngelAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.

OK, that’s pretty cool!

Sketchy
    Participant
    CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

That is very cool Haz!

Hazara
    Participant
    CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

LOL Dont drink & Fry….

Hazara
    Participant

Cummon guys, share a bit about yourselves…

I like flowers too..

Pink flower

NZSimian
      Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

Something else you should know about @hazara

He used to go Possum hunting (legal in NZ, they’re a pest) with a terrier, air rifle & bowie knife when he was growing up, first fired a shotgun & .303 before age 6 (probably not legal in NZ), had ready access to liquid nitrogen (only legal if you’re not being evil with it), & has always been interested in blowing things up with electricity (remember the fence generator on the door handle?).

And he used to annoy his teachers on purpose, since he knew that I’d get the same teachers in a year or so.

Sketchy
      Participant

That’s a Sketchy-approved upbringing. Grew up on a farm?

Haha, do you guys remember the Jolly Roger’s Cookbook? It was distributed under many names. I used to have it on the Amiga 500. I recall making many of the bombs from those files (science labs and teachers who didn’t pay much attention), at the end of Form 4, I was told “It is advised, for the safety of other students, that you do not return”. I went on Correspondence from there. Good times.

Taragocia
    Participant
    Principes

Wait till the missus sees the electricity bill Tesla

Sketchy
    Participant

Hahaha, that flower reminds me of the hulls in Nanomam. Good times.

Well, my name is Sketchy, and I drink. Did you know that? 😛

I have a two seater, 6A12 (V6, quad cam, 2ltr) Off roader, with tiptronic transmission.
    She’s a beast. Had it for 5-6 years now, the conversion from the old pushrod Toyota 2T-B to the 6A12 took about 8 months. Replaced all the steel panels with 3mm thick aluminium, as I live next to 90 Mile Beach, rust can be an issue. Electric power steering from an MR2, harnesses, front and rear mounted cameras with recording to a mini DVR, independent left and right rear braking. Blah blah blah.

Does about 200kph, although you can’t breathe near that speed.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Hazara
    Participant

Shitballs, If I had something like that, I’d probably be dead.

Super jealous of your back yard…  I was bought up in the Bay of Islands, was last up there about 3 years ago, and really, really miss the place.

Sketchy
      Participant

I like the BoI, I get down there every month or so for work, good area.

I can appreciate how you miss it, we moved away for 6 years, came back up here to raise the kids. Wanted them to grow up in the area that my wife and I did.

DAMORGS
    SenatorFounding AngelAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

This thread just made me realise. I have no life.

Hazara
    Participant

DAMORGS
      SenatorFounding AngelAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Sketchy
      Participant

LOL! Can you boil an egg with that thing? Everyone needs a Tesla Coil 🙂

NZSimian
    Participant

Strangely, I’ve had my dSLR lock up and need a full reset 3 times in the past 10 years.

Always when within 10 feet of Hazara’s tesla coil.

Hearing protection is recommended when you’re trying to get a macro of the spark gap…

@sketchy, nice ride!

NZSimian
    Participant

“It is advised, for the safety of other students, that you do not return”

That, my friend, is pure gold 🙂

God I loved blowing up stuff at school.

Sketchy
      Participant

Yeah mate, bombs were good fun. What was the favourite one of your time?

Did you and Hazara know each other, prior to ED?

NZSimian
      Participant

Yeah, unfortunately we have a slight… relatedness.

It’s hard to stay sane with Hazara as an elder brother.

We don’t live in the same Island any more.  There’s only so much awesome that one country can handle, and by having some physical separation we reduce the chances of an awesome explosion.

Or one of us being set on fire (again).

Sketchy
      Participant

Ha, I didn’t realise you guys were even related, let alone brothers. I can appreciate the want to keep the information quiet 😉

I can’t say that having the both of you online is a good idea, but living in the same house? Is there some sort of foundation set up, where I can donate to your parents? The poor souls.
      …and so on…

NZSimian
      Participant

Oh, and bombs – usually black powder, some additions (whatever could get ‘relieved’ from the Chem lab), but I used to set them with delayed action fuses (potassium permanganate & glycerol made for random excitement).  Sodium usually gave me a smile as an addition.

Nothing with shrapnel though.  Hazara’s tech teacher warned me against that, based on ‘creations by previous students’.

Hazara
    Participant

LOL I was banned from using Iodine, and a few other things after a minor puff of purple smoke and a missing classmates pencil case, except for the zip which was still in his hand.

DAMORGS

You two scare me.

Seriously…

NZSimian
    Participant

The concentrated acids were finally put in a locked room after an incident in Mr Duggan’s science class…  I mean really, who leaves that stuff unattended for more than 30 seconds anyway?

Fun fact: using aluminium containers to hold explosives can result in a melted pool of aluminium, and the fire brigade being called.  Especially when you’re using a naked flame from the methane outlets to ‘warm’ it.

Sketchy
    Participant

This is all great stuff, plenty of healthy stories for the kids.

So, I put a chlorine bomb in the toilet at school once, un/fortunately, it didn’t go off, removed it and took it outside, the bottle started to get warm, so threw it under some classrooms. The lid blows off the bottle and it takes off like a rocket, just misses our English teacher by 1-2 meters and hits the wall next to him. He looks around for the person who “threw” it at him. Good times.

Disclaimer: All of these stories never happened, the chemicals used do not work etc etc.

NZSimian
    Participant

How did this not make it into your commander profile? That’s brilliance right there 🙂

Did I mention I stole liberated a front door once?

Fun times 🙂

Edit: and sent a ransom note to the owners. Posted them pieces of the door when they didn’t pay up. 😆

Sketchy
      Participant

LOL, that would probably scare people off.

Haha, you stole a door?! That’s a story I need to hear 🙂

Blain Crighton
    Participant
    CenturionAngel of StrategyAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

On Hiatus during winter but my brother and I have been messing around with Mini Rockets

Sketchy
      Participant

Awesome video Blain, did you have a camera on it, any other angles?
      Looks like a neat hobby.

Blain Crighton
    Participant
    CenturionAngel of StrategyAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

No on board camera on the early models.

Phase 1 is getting it to get off the ground and not explode
    Phase 2 will be using timed charge to then have a parachute launch for recovery.

Once we are at that stage we can look at a camera

Great fun, quite a trail and error process, even just working on the fuel rods or balancing the center of mass and center of drag

Blain Crighton
    Participant

Since it was a nice sunny day, not too much wind, and my Drivers are giving me grief, I thought I would make a little video on The Crazy stuff I get up to when not playing elite Dangerous.

I must admit I have been a bit slack and my rustiness shows but here we go

Sketchy
      Participant

Wooo, I’m impressed, some good shooting there.
      Nice work.

Hazara
    Participant

Very good 3gun work there, pretty much guarantee we have a friend in common too!

Range is a bit short tho… Here’s JNR @ 200m..

http://s2.photobucket.com/user/hazara/media/20140413_132847_zps8054a8e6.mp4.html?o=78

Blain Crighton
    Participant

Very good 3gun work there, pretty much guarantee we have a friend in common too! Range is a bit short tho… Here’s JNR @ 200m.. http://s2.photobucket.com/user/hazara/media/20140413_132847_zps8054a8e6.mp4.html?o=78

A good shot from JNR

I am usually limited to the 100 m range at the range next door to the pistol club

NZSimian
    Participant

Nice stuff Blain!

Reminds me of what happened one afternoon when @hazara & I collected an old PC from his work…

Fun times with rifles.  Always fun times 🙂

Xsannz
    CenturionAngel of DiscoveryAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement MissionAngel of Trade

Took the wife to Kaikoura Saturday, but got up to this on Sunday.

Built new veggie patch planter box.

If anybody wants some MDF i have shitloads of 150 x 25mm @ 2.3 lengths.

Building the Kids Xmas Present, New pc that will be Minecraft themed if i can get it done in time.

Assistant Angeli Imperial Custodian (Wangal)

Qui Desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum. | Quis custodiet Ipsos custodes.
    Nascentes morimur. | Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati

Sketchy
    Participant

Garden is looking good Xsannz. Our effort into planter boxes started well, and ended with weeds. The wife and I have not a single green thumb between us.

Blain Crighton
    Participant

Aye, home grown veges are great, for those who have the land to do so.

NZSimian
      Participant

Aye, home grown veges are great, for those who have the land to do so.

Or those without a pet plant destroyer (damn rabbit)…

Xsannz
      CenturionAngel of DiscoveryAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement MissionAngel of Trade

If it’s a pet probably not, but they make good eating..

or if wild i hear Jnr Hazara is a pretty good shot 🙂

Xsannz

Speaking of which my seed potatoes are coming along nicely should have some fresh new ones just in time for Christmas, rather that the old 18 dollar box of new spuds…

Taragocia
    Participant
    Principes

Nice Veggie box.

I have yet to do much with my setup since I have sent the last year doing a whole heap of crap since the ANZAC day storms which decimated my work place.

Got married and now moving house in the new year.

Miss you lot, will have to catch up when the move is in place.  God hope my system can play Horizons

NZSimian
      Participant

Busy busy! Good to hear you’re still with us.
      And you have the trifecta; married, new house & frontier’s new baby!!

mudskipper
    Participant
    Foederati

Skydiver, cameraman and tandem master, here’s me behind the lens, Skydive Abel Tasman.

CMDR Mutantrex
    Participant
    Triarii

Dude thats awesome!

Master of Chunks

Hazara
    Participant

Why the hell would anyone throw themselves out of a perfictally good plane?

CMDR Genisis X
    Participant
    Triarii

OMG you have the best job ever. I’d love to throw tourists out of planes for a living!

-X

Eat Plasma!

Sketchy
    Participant

Mate…that is epic! Top job there.

NZSimian
    Participant

OMG you have the best job ever. I’d love to throw tourists out of planes for a living! -X

Stuff the tourists, I have some clients that need a demonstration of gravity at its finest.

@mudskipper; how much cost in petrol to get someone to drop height?  No need to worry about wear on your parachute either.  They won’t need one.

Blain Crighton
    Participant

Must try that one day

Hazara
    Participant

Fox Carignan
    Participant
    Centurion

Interesting contraption there @hazara.  The Imperial Navy will further study this for possible offensive applications.

HIP 20199 - Assistant to the Custodian

An Epitome of Elegance... And Class

Sketchy
    Participant

Mini metal foundry?

Hazara
    Participant

The product of a day on moonshine without mixers…

Sketchy
    Participant

Very impressive Haz, I want to build an aluminum foundry, there are some neat builds online.

Xsannz

Picked up a new toy not running and unloved off trademe for 35 bucks

Stripping it down and cleaning it

Attachments:

Xsannz

All cleaned and tuned carb rebuilt runs like a dream just need to find a new throttle cable and handle as the current ones been butchered and is shot.

Attachments:

Hazara
    Participant

Good stuff, my homelite chainsaw just recently gave up – I’m thinking of replacing it with a Husky.  I’ve got a Husky 1640 that has been bulletproof!

Dont tell me you did all that with one arm??

Xsannz

Not quite one armed.

I have a echo 650evl twin chainsaw runs like a dream but has a cracked oil casing so it leaks a little when sitting

Hazara
    Participant

Super hangover from friends wedding….

Had to go for a fly – and cant afford the insurance for the FDS..

Hazara
    Participant

Anonymous

I fly Radio Control Planes on Saturdays. At the moment I have a Trojan with a dinky front wheel that can barely lift of the ground when taking off. But it is one of my favourites. Also I have a clipped wing cub.

Hazara
    Participant

Snappy000
    Participant
    Principes

Recently I have gone shooting with a .22 smallbore gun club using these two guns. The first gun has a much better scope but I was lying down on an uncomfortable. The second one I am better at but it has a poor scope. I actually did better that round, I specifically heard one of the instructors claim that I was a really good shot

I fly Radio Control Planes on Saturdays. At the moment I have a Trojan with a dinky front wheel that can barely lift of the ground when taking off. But it is one of my favourites. Also I have a clipped wing cub.

This was posted by me and needs an update.
    Ok so here is the update on the planes:
    I have the same planes as before but have a P-51 Mustang, a Crazy-8 tiny sports plane, a few scale and older planes, I also have a Pilatus PC-7 and a PC-6.

I also have many other radio control cars.
    Here is the list of current car classes in use:
    2, Short Course Trucks
    1, 4 Wheel Drive Buggies
    2, 2 Wheel Drive Buggies
    2, Mini Z Supercars (Mini Z is a newer radio control car scale. The scale of these cars are 1:27 scale
    2, Big toy helicopters
    1, Mobile Device controlled helicopter in a ball
    1, Tiny Estee’s drone
    And a few toy radio control cars (e.g. V8 supercar with interchangeable wheels)

Attachments:

Hazara
    Participant

You got your ed sorted yet?

Snappy000
      Participant
      Principes

No mate I need to get a newer computer. Mine is just over 10 years old so it is not up to snuff with the specifications

Snappy000
      Participant
      Principes

Do you like my cover image and profile pic? @hazara

Hazara
    Participant

Yeah mate – christmas tree is it?

Snappy000
      Participant
      Principes

Cover image is an image that I have edited and my profile pic is a picture taken with a long camera exposure with people holding lights and drawing or dancing around me

Xsannz

while on sebatical I have improved the veggie patch and fully kitted out my garage to pass the time I have stable saw outfeed table , lathe a collection of vintage hand planes, sharpening station and a collection of vintage handsaws, all restored and usable.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.