Enmei MIA

Home --- Forums --- General Discussion --- Off-Topic --- Enmei MIA

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Principes

Honestly I don’t know what can be done. After my mouse started playing up I did a clean boot like the windows help site suggested and then all I got was a winload.exe file missing or corrupt BSOD. I downloaded a USB boot drive on my laptop and that’s not helping. I even tried to do a reinstall of 8.1 but then its saying my windows key doesn’t work. I’ve got a windows xp cd here so I am wondering if I can do a clean install of that. But I will see if I can contact some local PC tech people can see if they can fix it first.

Not sounding good… I wouldn’t bother with the XP disk though – gone end of life, MS won’t help activate, yadda yadda. Is it an HP laptop? I recently had one come past my desk that someone had malwared to the hilt. One thing that it had done was to corrupt (after removing) the OS licence, and I had a real bun fight trying to get it reapplied (the user had upgraded from 8 home to 8 pro and the pro key had been killed). Where abouts in the world are you? If you happened to live in Hawkes Bay, I can think of a couple of people who could help for the cost of a good bottle of wine…

Thanks. And it’s not my laptop it is my PC, my laptop is what I am using right now to visit the forum etc. And my PC was a custom build one I did (rather poorly with cables hanging out of the case lol). And I looked at the requirement of Elite Dangerous and it only mentions win7/8 so I won’t bother with XP if I can’t play ED with it. And I live in the Waikato roughly 20mins south of Hamilton. I/we should probably take this to another thread and not the angeli images thread.

I need to get out of the images threat with this. So I’ll post any updates here or if anyone has any ideas I could try.

Omnes Virgo triumphat imperator!

Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

Rebuild.

sorry to say, sometimes it’s the best, safest way forward.

you know those backups you’ve been taking of photos, etc?  Be prepared to use them.

if you haven’t backed up, get the drive into a USB cradle (25-50$ at Jaycar), grab what you want to save (or take an image of the hard drive if you can) & extract files as possible.

Then take the time to tidy cables, make sure you have the install keys you need, the drivers you need for at least internet access and spend a few hours getting everything up & running.

PM me if you want some remote assist.

Edit:

i do this sort of stuff often. Part of the job, but usually get the junior on the PC’s.

While it’s possible to spend time malware scanning, etc, (based on what you describing its malware) there’s a point where you get to not finding any more malware on a machine but that doesn’t mean it’s clean. It may mean that it’s really well hidden, or you haven’t looked everywhere.

Participant
      Principes

Yeah, I was thinking of doing a clean reinstall of windows, but when I tried the yesterday it was saying my windows key was invalid. I was thinking of ringing around a bit and ask if anyone would be able to run repair, I tried a repair but it didn’t work.

And I was thinking malware or virus, I have malwarebytes and spybot I run fairly often but nothing was detected when I ran them yesterday when the problems started. I don’t have any virus protection though, never liked them running in the background slowing down the PC and having yearly fees.

Participant
      Principes

Well I tried to reset the PC(wipe the HD) with a USB flash drive I downloaded from the microsoft site and it’s telling me it cannot, required drive partition is missing. Which confuses me.

edit. I can’t see remote assists been much good at the moment. I can’t get into windows, everytime I restart etc I just get to blue screen saying PC needs repair… winload.exe missing or contains error. And when I tried repair with a flash drive it just says it can’t repair. I will try download the flash drive again to make sure I got the right one.

Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

Another possibility is hardware failure…

check your event logs, system log for the event id ‘7’. That’s usually a bad block on the drive, and means drive replacement.

Wow, I’m Mr Doom and Gloom tonight, aren’t I? 😉

Was the windows key invalid at entry, or activation?

And.. Have to ask, legit copy of your OS?  No need to say here, just something to consider.

AV is pretty much a must these days, and if my quad core 2008 era PC can run AV without slowdown any machine should be able to LOL 🙂

If you’ve seen issues after running malware scans though, it sounds like a malware system driver that’s been installed has been partially uninstalled by your anti malware, which perversely has broken the machine.

Have a look at bleepingcomputer.com, you may find some hints there.

Participant

Oh, and usually the USB repair disk from MS requires the factory installed OS install media to be on a (usually hidden) partition.

Since you have a custom build (good man), you will have to rely on your DVD media.

Participant
      Principes

Yeah, sadly I don’t have any DVD media other then a rather old XP cd. And it’s a legit copy, It started as a win7 OS from a HP computer I bought from harvey norman years ago and had been upgraded to a 8.1 OS, after that I had built my own computer uses some parts from my old one to save money and migrated the OS over to a SSD drive. I never had any issues until the other day, and it is weird because I hadn’t done anything unusual that I would of many of times before.

I am making a recovery drive using the recovery version of my laptop and seeing if that does anything.

And it is saying the key is invalid at entry, I guess it is because it was a win7 key to begin with and I may need to do a reinstall of win7 if that is possible.

Participant

Theres why the keys showing as invalid; it sounds like an HP key, tied to HP hardware (mainboard). Normally would have expected the key to revoke if you moved the disk into a new mainboard, but have seen strange things like that some times.

migrating to the ssd probably didn’t include the original recovery partition, not that I’d expect that to help in this state.

Rock and hard place I’m afraid 🙁

Cheapest (and kinda legal) option is probably purchase widows for this machine and install. You should be able to get OEM version fairly cheap from say pbtech. Just purchase it with a new drive as well (have a look at raid 0 ssd array…. Mmmm speeed).

Edit: (from memory, and I’ve been drinking) if you’re a student you may be able to get reduced costs if you can provide your tertiary details.

Participant
      Principes

Yeah, it was a HP key tied to my previous computer, but when I had rebuilt it with a new motherboard cpu etc etc, I had problems with windows tied to my old PC and there was a message to contact Microsoft which I rang the NZ Microsoft number and the guy on the phone activated the windows for my new setup. I told him I had rebuilt the PC with new components etc.

If this recovery drive I am making on my laptop don’t work I will look at trying to reinstall win7, and in the meantime I’ll see what those oem ssd’s cost.

The bonus of all this my profile points here have been building up 😀 haha

Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

Just install server 2012R2.  You get something like 180 days free trial, but “so I’m told” there are patches for that sort of thing.  I run it on my machines at home, including my ED rig.

Participant
      Principes

Would I be able to install it using a boot drive?

Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

You back up & running with ED mate?

Participant
      Principes

Kinda, I can fly again but the game doesn’t run as well as it did in 8.1. There seems to be a bit of lag and not lag from the network, I think it is graphics/video lag or something that’s the problem.

And I discovered what was wrong in the first place, that was causing the mouse to constantly move in one direction. It had me banging my head against the wall when I learnt what was causing it and how easy it would been to fix.

Because it started to happen again with win 2012 r2. (I found out it was the Saitek X52 mouse control was bugging out so I increased the dead zone in the settings)

But it was the clean boot I tried that caused 8.1 to go into a BSOD I believe.

Now if I can just reinstall 8.1

Participant

Video drivers – make sure you have downloaded the newest from the manufacturer website (ati or nvidia) – dont roll with whatever windows installed.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.