Getting to grips with the Factions

Home --- Forums --- General Discussion --- Elite: Dangerous Discussion --- Getting to grips with the Factions

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Foederati

Hey guys, after that inspirational speech from our leader I decided to try and get a grips with how the Factions system works, and what the general plan is.

I haven’t really played a lot of E:D in terms of Power Play and messing with the minor factions, so I’m still trying to wrap my head around what everything actually means (and that I can influence it). I’ve found some good information about PP and in general for advancing my ranks with the Empire, but I still haven’t been able to understand the minor factions very well, the states especially.

I had a look at the mission statement (I’m still new, forgive me), and it mentions our influence outside of the home system – how can I view that? Does anyone have a map of where we actually have/could have influences?

In regards to becoming more of a power, how does that work? I recall reading about minor factions rising up etc. in the original PP notes, but there aren’t any new factions that I know of (it said up to 16?). What is our standing on that scale, and how much further do we have to go before galactic domination?

Thanks again guys!

EDIT: And why are we killing *all* Fed. drop ships?

Keymaster
      SenatorFounding AngelAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.

Someone will reply shortly probably with more details about all the other issues, but I can help you with this one.

And why are we killing *all* Fed. drop ships?

Because they are Federal and ugly, and if you are an Imperial flying that ugly thing when you have access to the Gutamaya stock, you deserve punishment.

Participant
      Foederati

Because they are Federal and ugly, and if you are an Imperial flying that ugly thing when you have access to the Gutamaya stock, you deserve punishment.

Fair enough! I’m yet to get the ranking for the tier (let alone the money), so I wasn’t aware they were so ugly haha.

Keymaster
      SenatorFounding AngelAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.

It is almost like flying a space box.  The type 7 looks like a sleek sportscar next to it.

(I am a bit biased BTW)

Participant
      Foederati

I’d heard people mention they liked the Dropship’s extra cargo space, but it looks horrible. Won’t be flying one soon (ever).

Aye Captain, terminate on sight!

Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

Personally, I like seeing the Dropship.  Usually means I’m about to make some money. 😉

Participant
      Triarii

i still think that powerplay is something you should consider, when you have about 50 – 150 millions … before that … its just a bit pointless …

:: Si vis pacem, para bellum ::

SenatorFounding AngelAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

Hi Oman,

OK, a basic rundown for you:

Powerplay:
      If you want to partake in PowerPlay(PP) just pick an Imperial faction and go with them, most of us are Patreus but don’ really do much as it’s a hard slog for not much reward.  The combat guys will tell yo that it just makes it easier to spot ‘enemies’.  In short personal choice, it’s up to you.

Minor Factions:
      The background simulation is what runs minor factions at all the different systems, this is currently broken and has been since the 1.4 update.  However, once it is working we will be pushing Angeli Imperial Enterprises (AIE).  AIE is our faction that we got into the game, so it means a lot to us, we created them, the back story and the leader (Argon Armrend).

We will do this by trading into and out of Nelder City, completing missions for AIE in the bulletin board and handing in any trade/exploration data at Nelder City.  In turn, this will increase their influence and eventually lead them to expansion.  They will then reach out into another system and we will have 2 of them to run.  It will be the same deal in the new system.

Have a look at the MISSION STATUS TAB at the top right of this page for our current goals.  This will update as and when required, so if you’re ever in any doubt as to what to do, that will tell you. 🙂

There will be other ‘minor goals’ as we go down the line, we will let everybody know when we have them.

Hope this helps, don’t forget to add us in game and get on teamspeak when you can it makes things a lot easier for us all 🙂

Participant
      Foederati

i still think that powerplay is something you should consider, when you have about 50 – 150 millions … before that … its just a bit pointless …

I did find it was pretty hard to get much done at all, it’s not very enticing for new players to get 1k for a trip across the universe and back, when you could have just traded some biowaste to the next terminal for the same profit.

Have a look at the MISSION STATUS TAB at the top right of this page for our current goals. This will update as and when required, so if you’re ever in any doubt as to what to do, that will tell you. :)

There will be other ‘minor goals’ as we go down the line, we will let everybody know when we have them. Hope this helps, don’t forget to add us in game and get on teamspeak when you can it makes things a lot easier for us all :)

Thanks for the info Damorgs, I’ll get onto some of that after I return from my trek into the void – I’ve given up on PP for now, a weekly reward of 50k is abysmal.

Are there any particular times when more people are gathered? I’ve noticed people on from time to time, but do you guys gather on Fridays for example?

EDIT: Er, massive smileys?

Participant
      Centurion

i still think that powerplay is something you should consider, when you have about 50 – 150 millions … before that … its just a bit pointless …

I did find it was pretty hard to get much done at all, it’s not very enticing for new players to get 1k for a trip across the universe and back, when you could have just traded some biowaste to the next terminal for the same profit.

I disagree.  Undermining in power play, while nowhere near as lucrative as one of the more mundane activities like trading, is still very fun and easily accessible early on.  I have an Anaconda, yet for undermining I exclusively use my little 5M credit Courier.  You could outfit a long-ranged, self sustaining PvE Courier very early.  Then all you need to do is blow up fed transport ships.  Fun!

EDIT:  It is also worth mentioning that undermining gets you a quick 30 Powerplay Vouchers for each ship you take out!  As opposed to the measly 1 PP Voucher from preparation, expansion or, fortification.  Although that may just be the soft, kind hearted, “Love thy Federal Neighbor” me speaking.

HIP 20199 - Assistant to the Custodian

An Epitome of Elegance... And Class

Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

EDIT:  It is also worth mentioning that undermining gets you a quick 30 Powerplay Vouchers for each ship you take out!  As opposed to the measly 1 PP Voucher from preparation, expansion or, fortification.  Although that may just be the soft, kind hearted, “Love thy Federal Neighbor” me speaking.

Also worth mentioning, that if you’re winged, everyone who gets a shot on the target, gets 30 points each.

Which all count to the undermining of the system, and all count to your PP points.   So a wing of 4 in a system for a couple of hours can do some real damage to a system.

Participant
      Triarii

I disagree.

thats the wonderful thing in E:D … there is no right and wrong.

the thing is … i tried it and found PP pretty confusing .. it takes some time to get an idea .. and this learningcurve is not so funny, takes a lot of time, money and risk and does not pay off, if you are sitting in a tiny ship.

the thing you tend to forget, while progressing in a game, is that you play different in the beginning. powerplay is a lot about beeing mobile. there is quite a difference between flying an .. say .. cheap cobra over 200LY or one with an A grade frameshiftdrive (and for me: upgrading the frameshift was not a priority at first). also … it costs you the same to reset the cooldown for stuff … and one million is a lot for an cobro pilot. 😉

and i think powerplay was created exactly for those who had the feeling that they had done anything they could do … for those with A grade anacondas who need a reason to do something: classical endgame content.

and the thing is: you can do way more in PP if you are in endgame … so also for the group it makes a lot of sense to bring the new’s to a good stand, before bringing them into PP …

i think 50mil’s are a good point to start thinking about PP … you are in the middle of the game … you have the grip … you know what to do … but before that … i think it isnt worth it.

but hey, thats just me … in the end: everybody needs to find his way 😉

Participant
      Foederati

Some goods points there, I definitely went in too early with only 10M that I put toward upgrading an Asp. In theory it worked well, I could move resources with a modest 20Ly jump range, do some damage in combat with class 2 lasers, and do some local missions along the way while I waited for a resupply.

Unfortunately, everyone had rail guns (ow!), and it was always >100Ly between fringe systems and home base. Even with a 5A drive it takes 4-6 jumps on average.

I’ll put the Asp to better use and find me a black hole I think. After that I’ll read into PP a bit more before randomly selecting someone (Empire, of course).

Participant
      Triarii

if you want make money: its trading … there are some nice tradingroutes on the homepage and the ASP can be outfittet quite well as a trader … the big benefit (compared to an type6) is that he is fast (you can make a run quite easy) and in doubt: he still kicks ass agains those pirates how are fast enough to still get you.

never forget: if someone intercepts you: press H to know what the enemy looks like. if its an anaconda, 4 pips to engines, flight assist off (y) and run.

if you are more into action … stay away from PvP … get into an extraction field … stay next to the police and kill whatever they attack. thats the safest way. if you are confident you dont need help: just kill whatever is wanted (more risk, but faster money gain). dont forget to buy (and use) an warrent scanner.

if you want to fight: rip out the level2 lasers and get yourself the big mulitcanons … an other small multicanon and the rest with lasers is the cheepest way to kill a lot of enemys without the need to fly for an reload (this is the big time eater .. and i dont like flying for realoading … i think thats boring 😉 thats the main reason i am not into railguns.).

and add the guys from the DAMORGS group … killing stuff together is always more fun than alone 😉

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.