Good News and Bad News

Home --- Forums --- General Discussion --- Off-Topic --- Good News and Bad News

Viewing 43 reply threads
  • Author
      SenatorFounding AngelAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

So I’m browsing the old interwebs this morning and have a look at http://www.centrecom.com.au as I tend to do.  What do I see but a GTX970 Turbo on sale for 2 more days at $449 plus a free game between either Assassins Creed: Syndicate or Rainbow Six:  Seige.   Squeeaaal!!!!!

I grab my brthday money which comes to $300, I have another $100 in my ‘savings account’ so go grovelling to Mrs DaMorgs to grab another $50 from the normal account.  She agrees.  Oh My God!!!

I call centrecom and they have one left in stock, and say they’ll hold it for me!  Double Oh My God!!

I get down there, pick it up, bring it home, install it and nothing.  I have a 550W power supply, it needs 500W but it just refuses to work.

So now I have a GTX970 Turbo sitting in a box in my cupboard.  Fuck fuckity fucking fuckity fucking fuck!!!!

I hate life sometimes.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

Everyone stay clear of @damorgs tonight, he’s having power management issues.

Can you set your FSD to a lower priority, to allow you run the new device?

Generally I’d turn off the fuel scoop, cargo bay, etc when in combat anyway… 😉

Bugger mate, I guess I know what your Xmas pressie to yourself is then?

SenatorFounding AngelAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

LOL, that’s exactly what my son said!!!

Can you set your FSD to a lower priority, to allow you run the new device? Generally I’d turn off the fuel scoop, cargo bay, etc when in combat anyway…  

LOL that’s exactly what my son said.  Out of curiosity if I disconnect my DVD ROM would that free up some power?

Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

Probably not enough to make a difference – you’d be looking at most about 25W from spinning disks, less than that from idle DVD ROM drive.

Check you’ve got the PCIe PSU cables connected…?  I’ve done that before.

[edit] @hazara says he’s willing to test the GPU, if you’ll post it to him…

Participant
      CenturionAngel of TradeAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

I have a 550W power supply, it needs 500W but it just refuses to work.

But, look on the bright side mate – you’ve got an Oculus Rift and most of us dont 😀

I’m *very* glad I future-proofed this PC when I bought it 4yrs ago:

750W ‘gold’ P/S, i7, 16GB RAM.

Upgrades have been SSD and quite recently, the GTX970 – only thing is the mid-tower case means I can’t fit ‘gaming’ GPUs since the HDD mounting brackets will foul it

Since the 970 is ‘below’ the recommended spec for Vive / Commercial Oculus Rift, it might be an excuse to build a new PC with a full tower case

BTW – spewin’ that commerical Vive release is delayed until April – everyone will be all over the Rift

Oi! That's Baron von Schnellenstein to you, mate. No, it doesn't matter that I'm an Imperial Prince!
      Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

After talking to Simian and now finding this thread…  I think you should be able to boot.

Couple of questions, (I dont know that card) does it have a single power plug on the card – and if so are you using an adapter to get the extra plug or does the PSU have a dedicated line?

Also… what is nothing… does you computer POST – do you normally get a beep as it starts?  Is it doing that but with no graphics?  Same for the HDD led, does that flicker and go through a startup process?

Some cards I have met, if you unplug the extra power supply to the card will run in a low performance mode – try that & see if it starts.

Also, when its doing “Nothing”  – press caps lock & let us know if the caps lock light comes on/off.

OK, basically, when I connect it all (8 pin connector direct from PSU) the PC won’t even power on, I can see power lights on the GPU.  If I disconnect the GPU the PC starts as normal.  I haven’t ried to power connected to the GPU as I figured it wouldn’t work at all.

I’m currently running the original GPU.

CenturionAngel of DiscoveryAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement MissionAngel of Trade

6970 actually draws more wattage than 970 and higher TDP i’d say your issue might be something else try a bios update

Assistant Angeli Imperial Custodian (Wangal)

Qui Desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum. | Quis custodiet Ipsos custodes.
        Nascentes morimur. | Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati

CenturionAngel of DiscoveryAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement MissionAngel of Trade

@damorgs jump on ts i’ll run through some diagnostics with you tonight, i agree with hazara you should be able to post with that i ran a 980ti on 550w psu and that recommends 550, it will always and should always boot, its when you hit game that power is drawn at max and things should crash.

does the cards fans spin up?  what motherboard do you have?  and can you update to latest bios

If it’s going to crash when I start the game there’s no point installing it.  I’ll stick with the original GPU until I can upgrade the PSU.

the thing is @damorgs several mates have that card and a 550w and run it fine….

what cpu / mobo / ram you have

how many drives etc.

based on your post in the user rigs section @damorgs

Win 10
      AS Rock Fatal1ty H97 motherboard
      i5 – 4460
      Radeon HD 6970 (soon to become GTX 970)
      8GB RAM
      Saitek X52 Flight Stick
      Acer 24 inch monitor
      Oculus DK2 (borrowed)
      3 pedal footswitch
      AfterGlow 5.1 wireless headset

the above with a 970 gfx card on psue calc comes in at 475watt and recommends a 500w psu, so 550w should be ample

http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

your cpu, ram 5 usb2 devices 5 4 usb 3, 6 fans etc,

have you tried bootign the bios (old card)

setting bios to PEG mode for graphics

then put new card in, also make sure if you have any settings pertaining to PCIE slot speed set them to auto.

based on information 970 uses less power than the 6970

970 specs

Thermal and Power Specs:

145 w Graphics Card Power (W) idle 250w full load

<span class=”right”>500 W</span>Minimum System Power Requirement (W)

6970 below
      Idle power consumption 120W
      Load power consumption 370W

Yeah, problem I had though is it wouldn’t even switch on.  Which is what had me baffled.

ok, I’m on.

I’m trying to get into the BIOS but it’s going past so fast I can’t get it in time.  I need a brick wall for my head.

Participant
      CenturionAngel of StrategyAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

Dump question. but you are connecting single 8 pin connector?

Are you sure there aren’t two connectors needed?

Got it working!  I took @XSannz advice and used two separate pins, works like a charm, installing the drivers now.

Yeah sometimes it’s best to use one plug off each cable rather than the two plugs on one cable as it gives more amperage and stable supply.

As for bios going past too quickly sounds like fastest is enabled is there something in your desktop apps that allows you.to boot to bios or as you turn on the pc just spam the f2 key as much as possible

OK,this is rapidly becoming more trouble than it’s worth.

Now I’m getting this all the time and nVidia Control Panel won’t open.

Capture1

It says there’s a problem with the driver.  I’ve tried a complete uninstall and re-install.  It still does it.  It was working fine last night and now it just won’t work.

Capture2

try driver sweeper remove all drivers  then dl nvidia drivers direct from nvidia

http://www.guru3d.com/content-page/guru3d-driver-sweeper.html

And Evga oc tool from steam or their site as the 970 will clock nicely as its based on the 980. Chipset and board.

You should be able to go +45 on the core clock and 150 on the ram which will give you about 10 fps more in elite

Participant

Windows 7.

This is my answer to all the Windows 10 driver issues. Having upgraded from Win 10 to Win 7 for my home media center, every thing just works now, I had so many issues with the lack of driver support on Win 10, it simply wasn’t worth the time and aggravation for me. There are fixes/work arounds online, but every time it updated, things would turn to custard again.

I’ve hit windows 10 on three machines no issues.

But I did clean installs on each one.

try driver sweeper remove all drivers then dl nvidia drivers direct from nvidia http://www.guru3d.com/content-page/guru3d-driver-sweeper.html

Done.  Still got the same problem.

Might just put the Radeon back in.

Participant

If you need to sell off your now second-hand gtx970… 😉

yeah, we’ve all had fun with Win 10 and driver issues.

If it gets too much to bear, Veeam endpoint backup (free vss-based imaging), wipe that win10 machine and as @sketchy says – upgrade to win 7.

Did you run an AMD driver sweeper? Amd provide one on their website iirc

It’s probably because your pc caught dirty diseases from that amd card.

Don’t know why you have issues, Windows 10 is great if you do a clean install.

Upgrades always go awol

The thing that’s annoying me most is it was working last night.  I switch it on this morning and it has conflicts.  How can that be?!!?

I’m currently using the GeForce Experience App to download the latest driver (again).  I’ll see how it goes

Have you disabled on board video that might help if you can get into bios.

Windows 10 gets all arse about face with reserving address spaces for cards even when not present which is probably what’s causing you issues

Also when running nvidia drivers choose clean install not express

Can’t access the BIOS it goes past too quickly and yes did  clean install.  Pretty sure they on board is disabled anyway.

The GeForce Experience App seems stuck in a loop and keeps trying to download the latest driver, which incidentally, it just installed. 🙁

Currently trying a system restore

@DaMorgs  once everything is working will you sell the 6970 I’d be keen for my kids pc and then I’ll donate my 5870 to jnr hazara at no charge

Sorry mate, if I ever get it working, I already promised my young fella he could have it.

No worries at all mate, no worries at all.

Any luck?

Scratch that, it’s too big for his PC.  It was donated to me from Furstaide, in turn I shall donate it to you.  PM me your address and when I get paid I’ll send it to you.

Finally got it working.  Yay!!

Now Oculus won’t work.  Tried 0.6, it’s not finding it at all, keeps giving me service disconnected errors.

0.8 finds and uses OR however, it’s not being detetced as a display and ED shits itself when I try to switch to it.

Any ideas?

@DaMorgs ed only supports 0.6 my mate uses a 970 and occurs he uses same framework switcher to switch between 0.8 and 0.6 but this one’s a little out of my knowledge not having one, wonder if latest nvidia drivers  don’t like 0.6 but I doubt it it’s probably some driver or.net framework or something after performing your restore.

I’ll do some reading and talk to my mate once kids hit the hay.

And flick ya that PM.

Have you tried the vr settings in nvidia driver??

Not yet, it’s not even detecting the OR in displays

@damorgs

Start -> Run -> devmgmt.msc If you find “Rift DK2” in the Human Interface Devices (HID) section right click and uinstall, then at the top of the list (your computer name) right click and “Scan for new hardware”

chances are with a rolback something has gone awol, also how many monitors do you have are you using  dvi or display port, because 970 only supports dvi plus display port or display port and hdmi, i think form memory a mate of mine always had to switch around his plugs.

Only the one monitor through DVI I’m trying to get the OR through the HDMI

Bet you you unplug dvi hdmi will work

Yeah looking at specs hdmi and dvi share port, you need a display port to dvi or hdmi adaptor

Capture

Say what now? Got that when I started ED

Yeah so your still running 0.8 you need to revert to 0.6 as mentioned ed only uses older sdk

0.6 is where I’m having the issues with it not being detected at all.

Viewing 43 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.