Long range Smuggling for Rank and Trade Ranks

Home --- Forums --- Angeli Imperial Operations --- Trading Forum --- Long range Smuggling for Rank and Trade Ranks

This topic contains 64 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  NZSimian 2 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Xsannz
    CenturionAngel of DiscoveryAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement MissionAngel of Trade

Gleened from multiple threads

For Empire ranking missions(lots of rep) go to FEHU, there are two large Coriolis stations there: https://eddb.io/system/25651
    For Federation Ranking Mission go to ROBIGO, only a small outpost there: https://eddb.io/system/23495
    Thompson-Keen Asylum seems to give more charity and smuggling missions(usually for explosives), as well as the bring us food missions, for which you can buy the food from the other station .While Frigschneck`s Resort offers more trade runs, but higher paying(and rarer) smuggling missions.

Asp Build – http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/25A5A5A4E4A5E5C0s0s181818180404000005040202400101.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==?bn=Xsannz%20Runner%20ASP

A typical run would provide between 14- 30 million creds, depending if i had any smuggling missions to boost the profit margin.
    A typical 80 ton cargo would take about 15-20 mins at the most to fill up. And the more missions you take, the more drop of locations you have, but on average it would take 1- 2.5 hours to drop off, if i hat a LOT. But my usually route would net me 22 million(ish) in about 2 hours. Which equated to about 10 million per hour, which you can make from door to door trading(if you know where).
    Caveat: You need a decent TRADE & Explorer rank to “unlock” the higher paying trade/smuggling missions.
    As in Broker and Trailblazer(i think).

How to do it.
    1. If you just want the cash, simply take any of the higher paying missions, typically 1 million creds + per mission, grab the cargo and get out the door- ZOOM.
    2. If you want more rep, take the ones with the Empire sign at the end of them, but you may have to turn down some of the higher paying ones- your choice.
    3. If you want to MAX profit trade run then you have to be picky and be prepared to shift between the two stations, in order to gain max cargo value per run.

What is the difference, surely 80 tons of cargo is 80 tons of cargo!
    No it is not the same. I do not simply i take 80 tons of cargo when the mission is available, it means i take 79/80 tons ofHIGH Mission VALUE cargo- ERR, what?

The difference lies in the value of the missions, and the AMOUNT of cargo you have to take for the mission.
    Thus a 1.2million mission for 10 tons, or 1.6 -1.8 million for 8-10 tons of cargo seems good deal, yes? Well no, actually it is not- But its 1.2-1.8 million creds for each mission!
    I know, but i am picky and want more money!

Example:
    Lets assume two friends decide to do the FEHU run.

Player A
    Takes each mission that is 1.1+ million cr in value, and he will typically end up with 8- 12 drop points netting about 15 million cr or 15- 20 million cr with 1 or 2 smuggling missions.

Player B
    Who is more picky and decides to only accept small tonnage amounts (missions for 5 tons or less) and look for large paying smuggling missions.
    Thus, he will take longer to load up, but he will have MORE drop off points(smaller amounts per mission) and the pay out will be a LOT higher, especially if he has some nice smuggling mission (5-9 million creds each). The run will take longer, but net him typically 20 – 40 million cr if some of them are smuggling.

The basic rule i use is to divide the cargo amount by the mission reward, and only accept them if they are 200k cr per ton or more.
    Thus the 1.8 million mission to transport 10 tons of coffee is not accepted, but a mission to haul 3 tons of gold for 1.1 million would be accepted. It is a overall smaller amount, but it meets the criteria of 200k cr per ton, and frees up 7 tons of cargo that would have been used up if you had taken the 1.8 million cargo run.

After you have done a few runs, you will get the hang of it, and learn what to accept or reject, if you want to max out your cargo hold.
    I would NOT recommend that you use a Python for this, because of the lower jump range and vastly greater cargo hold- Wait, it holds more, and therefore it can make you more money…yes?
    Well technically yes, BUT…
    I DID use a python for this, and greatly regretted it… Because of the large cargo, i could take a LOT of missions (max is 100 by the way) and you have to figure in the shorted jump distance, and the amount of interdiction that you are going to face… Thus after spending a hour or so filling up and then traveling 300ly+ to the FIRST stop, it took me an additional 7 hours to drop off that damn cargo! And i didn’t really make a lot of cash over using the Asp for 2 runs of more (which i could have done).
    If i had simply used the ASP, i could have jumped further, faster and done 3 or 4 runs, which would have netted me more than 100 million creds.

Of course use you ADS on every jump, both to and from the stations and you will gain exploration data and more cash when traveling also!

Fly safe Fly far, and get rich doing it.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Assistant Angeli Imperial Custodian (Wangal)

Qui Desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum. | Quis custodiet Ipsos custodes.
    Nascentes morimur. | Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati

Xsannz
    CenturionAngel of DiscoveryAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement MissionAngel of Trade

So FEHU turned on the charm for me this evening, on one mission spawn I got 12 donation missions for imperial factions.

And next roll I got a mission worth 3.4mil and 2 1.2mil and 4 800k missions all within 5 jumps of each other so 10 jumps to first then jump around drop everything add 12mil for 3 hours play

Xsannz

So spent an hour farming mission respawn didn’t get as lucky just a few million credit ones rather than a nice big one stacked them all 5 missions in total to 3 systems and pulled 8 million in 2 hours so not too bad

DAMORGS
    SenatorFounding AngelAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

Capture

Xsannz

FEHU has run dry, where did you get that

DAMORGS
    SenatorFounding AngelAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

FEHU 🙂

Xsannz

Fuuuu the system is so busy now bastard picking off my spoils aaaarg

Xsannz

Manages to pull about 30 million  out of FEHU in the last few days doing long range smuggling run and rank up 50% of baron tank as well as about 30% of my trade rank

CMDR Mutantrex
    Participant
    Triarii

What’s the best ship for long range smuggling? Asp explorer?

Master of Chunks

LuminousMonkey
    Participant
    Principes

Yeah, the Asp is your best bet. I sold mine to get my Clipper, but I’m working towards another one for smuggling.

Xsannz

For starting out hit FEHU ad it is imperial space robigo is much more lucrative but delivery points are in fed space

As mentioned before the missions in FEHU also help rank

Xsannz

@mrping could I perhaps  change my title to  chief smuggler, I can provide my resume of smuggling

Xsannz

still use an Asp Explorer. This is the build I use. Use whatever ship and build you’re comfortable with. I didn’t post mine to say it’s the best, I posted it because people have asked me to. I think she’s perfectly suited to the task.

Quick explanation on some of my choices:

The best Power Plant, Thrusters, Frame Shift Drive, and Power Distributer you can afford You’re a smuggler. When you get interdicted by Security, you need to get out. NOW. 4 Pips to ENG, 2 pips to SYS, and you’re boosting as hard and fast as you can go. The components give you your maximum range, thrust, recharge, and speed. You’re going to be making a lot of money smuggling, invest some of it into your ship so she can do her job.

64 Tons of Cargo. This is enough for me. I’m usually selective with my missions, and fill my hold. If I fill my hold with missions which pay over 1 Million credits/ton (which you can get even at “mostly penniless” rank) that’s over 64 Million in income, for one, single run. Even missions that pay a half million per ton (which is the lowest I go) give you over 32 Million credits for that one run. The more missions you take, the longer they will take to collect, the more NPC’s you’ll have chasing you, and the longer it’ll take you to complete them and get back for more.

Extra Fuel tanks. I prefer to use the other slots for fuel tanks. I want to get from Robigo back to my first delivery FAST. For me that means no scooping. Stars are massive gravity wells and I don’t want to be sitting there with 18 “Please for the love of the Emperor, don’t scan me!” delivery contracts on board with lots of NPCs trying to interdict me. (and, there will be lots).
    I refuel at my first stop for the rest of the missions.

Fuel Scoop. For these runs, I never need to scoop due to my fuel. But, this was my exploration Asp, and we’re still traveling long distances. It’s still good to have a scoop just in case. You may choose to leave it off, but, I wouldn’t. If you pick up a hold full of cargo at Robigo, I have not yet had a run where at least ONE of my drop offs could not be reached on the tanks of fuel I have. I then refuel at that first drop off, and then do the rest.

TIP: IF you choose to have more cargo, and scoop on your way, scoop with your back turned to the star. You’ll probably scoop slower, but any NPC trying to interdict you will have to get behind you to do so, which will force him into the star, and out of super cruise.

Advanced Discovery Scanner. I’ve spent more than 6 months in the black, just exploring, so I already had one installed when I retrofitted my Asp for smuggling. However, you’ll be passing through lots of systems you don’t have mapped. Some of these will be ones you’ll be delivering to on future missions. By scanning them you’ll have access to the system map for that system, and be able to later target the station directly when plotting your route.
    TIP: Don’t turn in that discovery data until the next exploration community goal. Free space money!

Weapons. You may choose to run without them. I enjoy a fight now and again, so when I get interdicted by a pirate, I’ll teach them not to do that again.
    TIP: Deploying weapons with a Security Ship targeted, will cause it to cease it’s scan and deploy it’s own hard points.

Shield Boosters. I carry downgraded Shields, so that I can fit in bigger fuel tanks. I use shield boosters to help make sure I stay alive long enough to boost / frame shift away for the times when I’m interdicted by wings, or Anacondas.

Chaff Launcher. Contrary to what a lot of people think, these do nothing to stop scans. I carry them for what they’re made for, which is keeping enemy systems from getting a lock on me when I’m boosting / charging FSD, to get away, again from pirate interdictions.

Heat Sink Launcher. I don’t carry one. You’re welcome to if you want. Now that they’re able to be used in Super Cruise, I suppose they’re more useful. I personally spent more than 6 months in the black, exploring for more than 8 hours a day, and never carried any heat sink launchers, shields, or repair units (which didn’t even exist when I left). So, I’m comfortable flying without them. I just don’t need them, and they do nothing to help you avoid scans.

Docking Computer. I actually don’t suggest you carry one. They can slow you down. But if you do use one, don’t engage it until you’re right over your landing pad. I’m an Elite Veteran, who played the hell out of the Original Elite. “Back in my day” getting a Docking Computer was an accomplishment. I carry one for Role play and Nostalgia reasons. In fact Nostalgia, and getting the original game again to play on an emulator is how I found out about Elite: Dangerous to begin with.

TIP: Go into your right hand panel, to the FUNCTIONS tab, and turn off “REPORT CRIMES AGAINST ME”. You don’t want crimes auto-reported because if you get interdicted by a pirate, the last thing you want is for security ships to show up to ‘help’ you.

Often times, they show up anyway, but this is because they’re coming for YOU, not for the Pirate.

How I do it:
    I didn’t start smuggling until after Horizons launched. Less than a week later, when the servers came back up on 21 December after the patch, I made Elite Trader thanks to these missions. I love these missions. The rewards are great, and the risks make it really fun. As Veltriben stated in one of the comments to this post – “Smuggling is the perfect blend between the money-making of trading and excitement of combat!”

Before you leave Robigo
    Open the galaxy map to plot your trip. If you have system information for the system you’re going to, open the system map for your destination system and plot to the station you’re delivering to. When you arrive, plot your next one.

Uh oh, there’s a security ship after me.
    If you’re filled with illegal cargo as I usually am, almost every system is going to spawn a bunch of NPC’s. You’re going to be turning away from the star toward your next way point. Your Frame Shift Drive is going to be cooling down. Very likely some of those spawned NPC’s will be System Security.

Use your “Select Nearest Target” key to toggle through the targets. Mine is set to a hat switch on my joystick. Find the Security ship, and then fly towards it. Keep it in front of you. It can’t interdict you while it’s in front of you. It will maneuver to try to get behind you, but, don’t let it.

When your Frame Shift Drive is cooled down, engage it and get ready for your next jump. While it’s spinning up, keep that security ship in front of you (or at least, NOT behind you).

When you get your countdown and you are ready to jump, align with the next destination and you’re out of there. Don’t even let them behind you and it will minimize the interdictions to begin with.

HELP! I’m being interdicted!
    Power down. Submit to the dark side. Interdictions are a pain in the ass. You can try to fight it if you like (and I often do, and win) but, to be honest, sometimes fighting the mini game takes longer than just submitting, earning your quick FSD cooldown, and continuing on.

If you were interdicted by a pirate, kill him or boost away and jump as you please. If you let yourself get interdicted by security, you’re likely at this stage:

When you come out of the interdiction into normal space:

Emperor help me, I’m being scanned!
    First thing, relax. Don’t panic. It’s much scarier than it sounds and the first time is the hardest. Once you realize these aren’t really a threat either, these will just be part of the process.

Immediately follow these steps:

Target the Security ship or pirate that is scanning you. (use your “target nearest” key).
    Deploy Hardpoints.
    4 pips to ENG, 2 pips to SYS,
    Boost like mad to until your FSD is cooled down.
    Jump out of there.
    The first two steps alone will stop the security scan that no doubt will start. When you target your friendly neighborhood law enforcement officer, and then deploy hard points, he will spill his Starbucks coffee all over himself while jumping to the controls to deploy his own hard points. This will stop the scan and you’ll see he has deployed hard points. He’ll sometimes even make some comment over COMS. It doesn’t matter, you’re now boosting away at nearly 400 M/s and quickly on your way.

For evading scans, you use SPEED. That’s it. Speed. Nothing else. If you get interdicted, you boost away. You run. 4 pips to ENG, 2 to SYS, and you don’t stop boosting.

I can’t dock without getting scanned!
    If you’re approaching your Station to dock, and there’s a Security ship following you nearby, he WILL appear when you come out of super cruise at the station. He will probably also try to scan you and will likely succeed unless you’re boosting away.

If I have security around me (or following me) as I approach my drop off in super cruise, I just target the next system, and jump away. You can always come back for the delivery, and I have lots of deliveries to make. I don’t want one scan screwing them all up.

Jizzlobber42 below also noted:

It is not necessary to jump to another system if you are being closely followed by the fuzz; I just drop out of SC when I’m less then 1.0 ls away from destination, cool down and re-engage. If literally anybody is around an outpost I’m trying to deliver to, I just turn tail, enter SC, make a quick loop and approach again. 9 times out of 10 this works, even if a scan is initiated. Just boost boost boost. As far as mail-slot stations go, I’ve never had issues so long as I make the proper approach during SC.
    HOW TO COME OUT OF SUPER CRUISE SO YOU CAN SEE THE MAIL SLOT
    EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
    I thought everyone knew this. Comments in this thread and previous threads, as well as the abundance of new players, shows that this may very well be the best info you’ll gain from reading this post.

When you are approaching a large station in super cruise (not an outpost, but one with with a “mail slot”) you want to approach from a specific direction.

You want to come out of super cruise with the station way point directly in front of you, and the planet that it’s orbiting, directly at your rear thrusters. You want to come in BETWEEN the planet, and the way point. I always level myself off so I’m exactly between the planet and the way point.

I come out of super cruise with the mail slot in view, ALWAYS. It’s probably been a year since I’ve even seen the back of a space station.

Boost toward the mail slot. Request docking at 7.5, and get in as fast as you feel safe to do so. Don’t take too long. You should always be able to get inside before the security ships get close enough to initiate a scan. I can’t even remember the last time I got a “scan detected” on a big station.

I don’t think I’ve ever been scanned around an outpost, either, actually. UNLESS you come out of super cruise with security ships that were following you, at which point, you could be trying to land and have one get you then. If security ships show up while I’m approaching an outpost to land, I tend to boost away, jump to another system and come back later for it.

Since I’ve been smuggling I only EVER got scanned once, and it was one of my first runs. I had accepted 11 missions, and had already turned in 9 of them. I was sitting on the pad at an outpost, just landed, when the scan came. Not much I could do, really (was trying to get into the hanger). So I lost two missions there, but since I started “avoiding” the landing if there are security anywhere near, I’ve had zero problems.

In summary, I guess I’d have to say, for ME these are some of the most fun I’ve had in Elite. If they’re not FUN for YOU, if they make you rage, or you just don’t enjoy them, or you can’t avoid being scanned, then don’t grab them. There are still the long haul trade missions that pay pretty well and again, if you’re selective with your missions you can still make good money without the scan worries.

It’s taken me a long time to write the original post and even longer to re-write it, so I really hope it helps some Commanders become successful smugglers and enjoy what is to me, the funnest activity in E:D at the moment!

GOOD LUCK COMMANDERS!

Notes:
    Silent running is NOT cloaking. This is why I don’t use heat sinks. Please, understand one thing: If an NPC interdicts you, he has spotted you already. If he is close enough to scan you, it’s already too late to hide. Despite all of the extra button pushing and “I want to believe” mentality of people, heat sinks and chaff are not doing anything to prevent you from being scanned. They won’t stop the scan. I’m sorry to the people who still want to believe the placebo effect of “run fast and silent”, because, what’s working, is the “Run fast” (the silent has nothing to do with it). If he’s close enough to scan you, he’s close enough to see you. It doesn’t matter if you’re sitting there cooking yourself when he can physically SEE you.

ONE person in this thread has stated that targeting the ship and deploying hard points doesn’t work for him. If that’s the case for you, I promise you that if you fire on them, it will force the Security Ship to stop it’s scan and deploy it’s weapons. Smuggling has made me rich. It’s taken me from a nobody, to a Billionaire, Elite-ranked nobody. I have only fired on a security ship ONCE and then I realized I get a fine for doing that. I have never done it since, and I’ve done countless smuggling runs. I’ve had “Scan Detected” Dozens of times by now, and I’m always gone before it completes. Target the ship, deploy hard points, and be boosting away, and you should be fine.

People who have not yet made enough money to get an Asp have asked what other ships you can use. Honestly, you could do these runs in any ship, to work your way up to any other ship you want. You want to probably put your priorities in speed, range, cargo space. (That would be my order). Even smuggling in a Sidewinder or a Cobra would earn you enough money fast enough to afford an Asp in just one trip or so.

LuminousMonkey
    Participant
    Principes

Excellent info!

CMDR Mutantrex
    Participant
    Triarii

How do I know if a mission is a long range smuggling mission?

Master of Chunks

Xsannz

Long range = more cargo and no fail on scan.

Shadow is low cargo high payout but has a fail on scan condition.

Some of the data missions have fail on scan but no cargo.

Xsannz

Pulled 40mil today.

Up to 310mil with a net worth of 475mil

Masterandpuppet
    Participant
    Foederati

Really interesting and good information here. I’ve done a bit of smuggling for giggles but it’s always taken a back seat to trading and combat for me although I do easily get bored so I’ll try this out. Plus I’ve got an ASP sitting around doing nothing at the moment…might as well make use of it!

I see smuggling missions in loads of places so I’m wondering what makes the ones you’ve mentioned particularly special (and if so how you find them?).

M&P

Xsannz

Nothing makes them particularly special.

However fringe systems on the edge of the bubble take your pick will offer up missions paying millions.

I use FEHU because it has fed aligned missions which helps rank grind.

Andy robigo because they are neutral missions with delivery in fed space and more frequently I get bounty kills when interdicted.

And robigo you can stack up to 30 to 50 milLove worth in a few bulletin board refreshes.

I don’t recommed taking more than 10 at a time as the interdiction rate and potential loss stack up

Masterandpuppet
    Participant
    Foederati

Thanks for the advice, so it’s basically money for distance.

I have to say, as a relatively new CMDR (and brand new member of AIE) I haven’t really taken the time to figure out where exactly the bubble is but, based on where you’re suggesting, we’re looking for systems 400ly+ from Sol.

Equally I have done almost zero exploring so that might hold me back quite a bit for collecting missions, otherwise I’ve got the broker trade rank so we’ll see what I can get…

On that note, based on your experiences, I’m looking at outfitting like this:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/03A5A5A4D3D5D5C–10——-05040202402i2f.Iw18WQ==.IwBj4yvI

Token weapon for stopping scans but otherwise built for legging it. I’ve got scanners for exploring in there to raise that a little en route.

Xsannz

Looks good, the scanner will help as you can rack up exploration doing the missions,

I’ve made approx 5mill I’m scan data but doesn’t help much since I’m already elite Explorer.

Masterandpuppet
    Participant
    Foederati

Thanks, with such a pitiful explorer rank I should make a few gains pretty quickly and hopefully that will have a multiplier affect on the Credits and reputation that can be made from this. I’ll pop back and give an update on how this works for newer players.

Masterandpuppet
    Participant
    Foederati

So, I finally had a chance to give this a go last night for a couple of hours.

I started off at Quincy, a empire aligned system 380ly from Sol.

If I remember correctly my trading rank is currently broker and I of course was neutral with the local faction was neutral.

Even then I managed to pick up 7 missions ranging in value from 1.7mil to 4mil for transporting small quantities of cargo in the range of 1-7 tons typically.

Being new to this the opportunity to get around 20mil profit from one long haul was enough to start with so I only filled my hold with around 40 tons of cargo. Also knowing that the more jobs you have the more npcs spawn against you I was keen to get used to avoiding scans before risking bigger fines.

The journey to the first stop was around 375ly so I sat back with a cold beer and cruised along for about 20 mins, such a long distance did obviously require fuel scoop use but there were so many empty systems en route that I didn’t have any problems being hassled whilst scooping which I was worried about.

Such a long journey also netted me a good amount of exploration data with the ADS. Over the loop I netted at least 250k in data which is a nice bonus to rank.

I was pleased to see that the destinations were clustered in 2s and 3s with often only 30-50ly between clusters which makes the drop offs nice and quick.

I got interdicted a lot though which slowed things down. Some powerplay quite a few pirates (including persistent ones I had to jump system to get rid of) and the odd authority interdiction too most of which I evaded boosting in the Asp. Sadly I did get scanned on one occasion and lost the 3 last contracts but they were also the lowest value ones…but I paid the 19k fine for what was left and still made 850k selling the goods in the normal manner anyway.

Overall I made 16mil in 2 hours, that also included making and eating dinner.

There’s a lot more to come as I gain rank and pick up more missions.

It’s like trading but much more profitable and exciting (like smuggling should be, eh?).

Xsannz

I started these runs a month ago when I was broker

I’m now 70% Tycoon  currently on a run with 45mill stacked from robigo

Which is now owned by a player group empire aligned goes after the patch on Tuesday so I am getting empire and fed rank missions now which is great

There is also high cargo no penalty missions which I take then abandon and sell the cargo which gives me approx a mill each time and I do this just before I set out on the smuggling runs

NZSimian
      Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

There is also high cargo no penalty missions which I take then abandon and sell the cargo which gives me approx a mill each time and I do this just before I set out on the smuggling runs

I have a feeling that FD dropped the credits people had previously made via that, as was an unexpected exploit.

That said, I’m looking to build up an Asp and run some missions from there – a couple of stacked 50M missions would be a great shot in the arm.

Xsannz

They nerfed and removed the missions previously but put them.bavk with the last patch, I am not making it obvious by sitting just doing that all evening I just geabb1 mission and then sell the cargo abandon the mission then stack my smuggling runs and go rather than sitting there abusing the system which could be done but would be obvious I just use it as a top up.

NZSimian
    Participant
    CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

All good mate 🙂

I remember way back, when the server tick used to be about 7pm (and it was a server restart at that time, so all cmdrs off), that some commodities (I forget what, but at the time they were expensive & had a great profit for a 1 system jump) would suddenly refresh in a station just before & just after the tick.

This was near a busy starter system, and this commodity ran out of stock daily.

So I made sure I was there at the right time, to load up with stock before the tick, and logged in immediately after to grab the next load.  I felt guilty every time.

Now I spend more than that amount in ammo on a Friday evening 😉

Masterandpuppet
    Participant
    Foederati

Have either of you noticed better missions popping up with a higher Explorer rank too? It said in the Op that the combination of a trade and Explorer rank would make for the best smuggling missions. I’m not sure myself how the combination unlocks missions. Can’t seem to find much info on Google.

Xsannz

Not so much with exploration rank, but with Trade rank.

Exlporation rank helps, but depends on where you are and what missions you are taking, it certainly helps in robigo.

one of the missions laste night reuqired Elite trade rank for the smuggling missions and paid 8mill

Masterandpuppet
    Participant
    Foederati

Had a crack at a timed run tonight.

It took me 33 mins to fill up 84t of cargo at Jefferies High in Quince worth about 40mil in missions. I started in Millerport but I found that I wasn’t getting the right missions there tonight.

Travelling back into the bubble took me 23 minutes to cover around 350ly.

I then spent 50 mins handing in missions, seems a long time looking back at it really. I did spend a little time serving dinner and making a cup of tea but I suppose more time was lost to avoiding interdictions than anything else. I had a lot of success avoiding police scans by targeting and deploying weapons.

Sadly though I only got halfway through the missions, earning 20mil before a had a persistent authority ship who caught me at an outpost, I was in the process of docking when he followed my wake and scanned me. 20 mil down the drain! I think I got a bit over confident and should have just jumped out and back into the system – although it’s a pain having to supercruise again from the star.

All in all I earned just over 20 mil in 1 hr 45 mins if I’d hung on to my missions it could have been something like 40 mil in 2.5 hours since I was at the business end of it all.

I think I’m going to make a couple of small changes to my ship. I don’t think I need 104t of cargo capacity. The attention you draw from all those missions is pretty crazy at the start. Also I want to decrease the travel time, best way to do that is increasing my range/decreasing my scoop time en route. So I’m going to add a more powerful fuel scoop. This config still leaves me with 80t of cargo which I think is plenty.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/04A5A5A4D4A5D5C–12——-0537020240242f.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==

Ultimately I may replace modules with fuel tanks to give me a simple 390ly range with out scoop dropping my cargo capacity to 72t which is probably quite reasonable anyway later on. Since I’m currently getting missions worth 500k/t that would still be 36 mil on a full hold.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/04A5A5A4D4A5D5C–12——-05f5f30240242f.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==

Having said that the type 5a scoop I’ve just installed now will fill my tank fast so I think it will be a good balance.

Annoyingly tonight got me all the way up to 99% broker! Hopfully I’ll see more tasty missions pop up very soon with the upcoming rank and that should increase my cr/t.

All in all, not a bad couple of hours. Still learning but very much enjoying it and making more money than ever before.

Xsannz

Good thread for long range smuggling systems

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=229162

CMDR Genisis X
    Participant
    Triarii

That will be useful!

-X

Eat Plasma!

NZSimian
    Participant

There’s some shadow missions in Maia if anyone feels like the trip…

Masterandpuppet
    Participant
    Foederati

I’m personally using this search result since I’ve had a lot more luck getting good missions from stations with BMs.

Click on “distance Sol” to reverse the sort order and pick a station, or narrow the search further, to suit your needs…

Clicky Linky

NZSimian
    Participant

Just ran a few out of Maia this evening, quick bit of cash.
    Interdictions were a pain, because of power play alignment, but I guess due to my excessive alliance bounties, the target systems all like me enough not to scan as I dock.

NZSimian
    Participant

So tested out the HOTAS from @sketchy tonight – was brilliant. Mostly have the buttons committed to memory, but have only got enough set for basic flight and occasional killing stuff.
    Found a Keelback NPC called Jiggy right next to the outpost I was at last night. Shot him until he exploded.
    Flew out to Maia.
    Grabbed a single mission from obsidian, headed to Darnelles progress (surface port), to look for more, and get interdicted 12km from the port!
    The f&@&ing game mechanic dropped me 12LS from the planet, with a clipper eating my shields.
    Tried twice more to get to the surface and interdicted both times. By the same NPC.
    He even followed my wake in when I did the old jump ‘n’ drop.
    High waked with 75% hull.
    Uneventful trip all the way until destination system when I get pulled over by a PP agitator and scanned. Chaff & guns hot, scan unsuccessful. About to open up his hull when his reinforcements (Annie & dbs) jump in. Jump and head into target station, 4M Cr in the bank. Thank you.

Fox Carignan
    Participant
    Centurion

I lost all of my smuggling mission the first time I tried because of a damned scan.  Oh well, I’ve made 128M cr off of it since with only a couple hours of smuggling!  😀

HIP 20199 - Assistant to the Custodian

An Epitome of Elegance... And Class

CMDR Mutantrex
    Participant
    Triarii

Aside from Fehu and Aditi, anyone know other empire systems that are good for long range smuggling?

Master of Chunks

Xsannz

See this thread

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=229162

NZSimian
    Participant

Jeez, that’s brilliant.

mudskipper
    Participant
    Foederati

Check out at the the bottom of the list “TE KAHA”  RNZN Navy Frigate  or F-77 TE KAHA.

Now adrifting spaceways rather than afloating around the southern pacific.

Also brilliant.

Nuff said.

Masterandpuppet
    Participant
    Foederati

This last week I’ve been switching it up and doing it in my cobra. Had a bad session in my asp a few days ago which really pissed me off. Got scanned by a viper just after entering the first drop off system. Lost about 40mil of missions and and probably 1.5hrs of travel and mission selection time so I fancied a change.

So far so good, ok only 40t cargo but that’s still enough for 20mil+ in a run. Good jump distance still and it’s so fast that no one has got close to scanning or shooting me down.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iii/02A4A4A3D3A3D4C——03033201012f.Iw1-kA==.Aw1-kA==

There’s room to fit more cargo if you want to spend more time scooping by switching a class 4 and 2 around.

NZSimian
    Participant

‘Right, here’s my take on the matter of smuggling.
    Flew out to Maia last night, stacked a few missions together.
    2 had the same system drop off.
    Sweet.

Made the mistake before setting off, of listening to @hazara & @sketchy, so I dropped most of my guns for better jump range (if I ever do Beagle point, it’ll be with a plasma accelerator and a KWS).
    Anyway, dropped into system with my first ‘shipment’.
    No issues with the Po-po.
    2nd system, 2.4 M for 2T of battle weapons? System having a civil war? Hell yeah.
    Flew in, made the drop.
    Nothing on the scope.
    Next station targeted, jump.
    Interdict, evade, interdict evade, “suspected felony”, scan, guns out (I’ll show you felony!), find I’m packing 2x small beams (damn, what the hell! @hazara, @sketchy what have you done?!).
    3000cr bounty added.
    Jump, interdict, evade, jump, station.. Scan, guns!! Fail.
    Lost the rest of the stack.

So, I got mad.
    Shot up the locals (small f**king beams? Who’s f**king idea was that!).

Now I’m really wanted in yet another system.

And you know what was so important to the locals?
    More important than preventing fanning the flames of their civil war with battle weapons?
    So important, they lost two of their best and brightest chasing me for?
    So important that I’m going to head back to the system with an assault ship and personally kill everything that moves?

The 7T of Synthetic meat I had in my cargo.

Hazara
    Participant
    CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

I can tell you have been drinking again – I would never have said lose the guns, I’m running 2 beams and 4 multis on my trade asp.

Bottom line tho – cargo holds are for people who dont respect themselves.

Made 2.5 mill in a haz res last night – in an hour with the vulture.

Sketchy
    Participant

Bottom line tho – cargo holds are for people who dont respect themselves.

You are wise beyond your years.

It *may* have been my input Simian, that led to you running one beam. I apologise, I have lost my way.

NZSimian
    Participant

I’ve sold off the Asp, but still wanted to do some LR smuggling.

I present, for your amusement, the AIV Budgie Smuggler

http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iii/04A4A4A3D3A3D4C—-00-030348012o2f.Iw1-kA==.Aw1-kA==?bn=Budgie%20smuggler

Paper shields, but quicker than a cut cat.

Edit, now with more budgie, less ‘ran out of gas’.

Psylem
    Participant
    Principes

Great one, I think I’ll add that to my slowly growing ship collection once I raise a little more funds. Looks like you can gain another 1 m/s off by downgrading the powerplant to 3A. Would that slow down the engine power rate though?

Sketchy
      Participant

Nope, all capacitors will charge at the same rate, regardless of the power plant size. Downgrading the power plant where possible is a good way to squeeze extra speed and cost efficiency out of yer ship.

CMDR Mutantrex
      Participant
      Triarii

I did not know that!

Master of Chunks

Sketchy
      Participant

Well now you do 🙂

I have read that larger power plants are more heat efficient though, so while scooping for example, the ship will heat up slower and cool faster.
      Although, I have not experimented with this myself. An easy trail would be firing off a SCB in a ship, recording the heat level, then down/upgrading the power plant by a whole size, and trying again. It could explain the FDLs ability to not overheat since the bigger power plant was made available for it.

Baron von Schnellenstein
    Participant
    CenturionAngel of TradeAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

I have read that larger power plants are more heat efficient though, so while scooping for example, the ship will heat up slower and cool faster.

My experiences with the Cutter (6A P/S), ‘Conda (6A) and Pythons(Trade: 5A | Combat: 6A) suggest that rating (therefore thermal efficiency) and probably most importantly, utilisation of said power supply seem to affect heat up / cool down more than sheer size:

The Cutter and Conda, whilst relatively well armed, are fitted out for trade (not many ‘accessories’ to power and have D grade shields and thrusters) – These barely go above 50% when charging FSD for hyperspace and rarely go above 67% heat when scooping – ridiculously close to the sun.

• Cutter Power Supply Utilisation in SC: 67%
    • Anaconda Power Supply Utilisation in SC: 57%

The Pythons, utilising most of their power allocation:

• will go up to 70 – 75% scooping as above, however:
    • Combat Python is running A grade shields, thrusters, etc
    • Trade Python D shields, but A thrusters all the accessories I can power

Oi! That's Baron von Schnellenstein to you, mate. No, it doesn't matter that I'm an Imperial Prince!

Sketchy
      Participant

Good info Baron, I had a moment while reading it, where I realised that efficiency is actually listed on the power plants when you buy them.

Psylem
    Participant
    Principes

Ok, I’ve built my own Budgie Smuggler. Fehu is pretty far, what’s so special about that place in particular? Is there a casual smuggler port somewhere in the vicinity?

NZSimian
    Participant

It’s the distance from the bubble that makes it worth while.
    The return on smuggling small amounts of cargo increases with distance to target.
    You can find shadow runs within the bubble, but they usually pay less, for more cargo.
    The reduced cargo means that you can stack many missions together, for greater profit & risk.

Psylem
      Participant
      Principes

Ok, I made it out here and now it makes sense. Because these Fehu peeps are so far away, the missions back to civilisation are more likely to payout big time.

I’m just amazed how luxurious the station is considering the huge level of funding output for criminals. I’m surprised they can afford to maintain anything, must be some kind of tax haven or high roller casino/money laundering operations going on to pay for all of this. That’s the only explanation I could come up with. Ignoring those preposterous rumours of Thargoid sex tourism of course.

Psylem
      Participant
      Principes

That was a blast, the Budgie Smuggler is a delight to fly. I don’t know if it did much for my Trader rank, but I have collected a lot of exploration data with the Advanced Scanner and it’s a good way to make quick cash if nothing else, especially since it’s quite a cheap ship. Even though I don’t have much local rep, I still scored a 4M shadow mission straight up.

Having an excuse to perform extremely dramatic docking maneuvers in the best ship for the job was such fun. I can see that the Asp would be far better for stockpiling more missions at a time, longer jumps and carrying more fuel.

Psylem
    Participant
    Principes

Hours of work, but the Budgie made me 11.5M tonight. Also I’m entirely undefeated in my smuggling career as yet. Cobras FTW! Loads of fun, but I’m not convinced that trading isn’t more profitable. An Asp might be a different story though.

Psylem
      Participant
      Principes

Uploaded the flight logs to Inara. Round trip started at 14:16:46 and I returned at 17:30:10 which is better than I thought. 3h 15m for 11.5M is better than my Clipper trade route for profit/hr. Also, I had plenty of room for more missions, I just grabbed all that was available in Fehu at the time then left. But AIE gets nothing from this, except some once off exploration data.

Sketchy
    Participant

Okay, I have been drinking for a change, so don’t quote me on this: $100k per minute is the approximate rate gained through smuggling. This includes returning to your main system after smuggling and entering solo/open.

Psylem
      Participant
      Principes

That seems about right. If I had maximised the missions I’d taken in the Cobra even, it would get pretty close to that.

NZSimian
    Participant

How did you get that commander log up? Is it an automated process, or pen/paper style recording?

Psylem
      Participant
      Principes

It took me a while to figure out how to use it. First, you need to enable verbose logging in E:D, lots of 3rd party tools will check for this setting and do it for you. To do it manually, find the file AppConfig.xml, for me it was here: “C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Frontier_Developments\Products\elite-dangerous-64\AppConfig.xml”. If you have the steam version, it’ll be somewhere else. Search Steam community and someone will have found it. In there you need to set VerboseLogging=”1″ somewhere (details are on the flight log Inara page).

Then, finding your logs directory was the hard part for me because I didn’t need to hack the xml file manually. If you find the xml, the logs are easy to find. For me it was “C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Frontier_Developments\Products\elite-dangerous-64\Logs”. In there, the game creates a new netLog.DATETIME.log file for each session. That’s the file you need to upload to Inara, just drag and drop it onto the spot on the Flight Logs screen. By default, it’s not shared with the Wing, you then have to go into the Settings screen and change the applicable privacy setting… http://inara.cz/settings

Psylem
      Participant
      Principes

Be aware that there is also lots of possibly sensitive information in those logs too, such as text-chat logs. I decided that I trust Inara after perusing the bugs forums. You could also filter out anything not specifically flight-log related from the log before uploading it.

It seems Inara actively avoid retaining any information that they don’t specifically need to perform what ever function it is that the site is clearly trying to provide commanders with. Some users such as Wing admins that are requesting features which are at odds with that philosophy are frequently knocked back.

Psylem
    Participant
    Principes

Looks like my XML is a little different to the snippet posted on the Inara site. I can’t find any details about RelayViaServer, but it seems you don’t need it.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

NZSimian
    Participant

Awesome stuff, thanks buddy.
    Will have a play when I’m next on…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.