Materials synthesis

Home --- Forums --- General Discussion --- Elite: Dangerous Discussion --- Materials synthesis

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      CenturionAngel of DiscoveryAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement MissionAngel of Trade

What is your take on this guy’s.

Wonder if some of us can gather then eject or drop the stuff for other players so we can keep a good source of crafted munitions.

Any other ideas?

Assistant Angeli Imperial Custodian (Wangal)

Qui Desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum. | Quis custodiet Ipsos custodes.
      Nascentes morimur. | Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati

Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

Unfortunately with no real ability to store things – cant really happen.. (without breach of ToC)

Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

Sending ships into a pristine RES to pick up materials to rearm (& and maybe repair?) their mothership?

Might open up the galaxy…

Participant
        CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

I often wondered how FD would tackle the issue of the Thargoid home world being on the other side of the galaxy. Taking a combat FDL there would be a joke…combat anything really. Then fighting there and having no way to rearm & repair, so maybe crafting is a means to solving some of this. Building a forward base on a planet wingmen can use.
        MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm

Participant

Remember the ‘Nuke’ missions from Frontier?
        I really wanna see that back again.
        I can just imagine doing a low-level canyon flight, popping up at last second, dropping a 10KT warhead and boosting it.

CenturionAngel of DiscoveryAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement MissionAngel of Trade

I agree it might open up the galaxy, however what irks me is that these items persist when your ship is destroyed, which does not make it consistent with anything else.

If your ship is destroyed, you lose exploration data, bonds etc,  but somehow you magically manage to keep your synthesis materials of which you might have tons of.

logic didn’t dictate much though process on that now did they.

Participant

True, maybe having a storage at a port, and once they were put in there, they are safe. Would make more sense.

I put in a feature request with Frontier a while ago after i lost my ship and exploration data and had to start out again on my trip (random bug) logged in oneday to an insurance screen after parking up for the night (they confirmed an issue but could retrieve my data)

so the idea was a ship based module for a utility slot that allowed you to manually trigger a data backup for explorers, so you would still have to remember to click backup in your ships menu etc so that its not just a lazy mans way and adds something, and comes in different classes for amount of data storage.

and on ship loss that is jettisoned with you and kept ie with your remlock suit, or floats around and is retrievable by others.

Participant
      CenturionAngel of TradeAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

what irks me is that these items persist when your ship is destroyed, which does not make it consistent with anything else

In line with your most recent response – Assume this ‘personal’ storage is part of your ‘Martin-Baker Escape Pod / Remlock’ unit:

• If you’ve rescued “Occupied Escape Pod”s from USS / Salvageable Wreckage sites, you see that an escape pod is a variant of the 1T cargo cannister
      • On this basis,I can live with the idea that we’d carry around smallish (n-hundred grams / n kg) amounts of rare materials to assist crafting ship enhancements (like bling, small system mods)
      • They’d be stored along with other sensitive items, such as docs/samples that one might ferry in some courier missions taken from stations/outposts
      • Just have to suspend disbelief that your escape pod has enough raw material to manufacture 2-6 full magazines of ordnance, which has to be worth a few to tens or hundreds of tonnes, ROFL
      • Of course, storage at stations is the more ‘believable/plausible’ scenario, as @Sketchy has reminded us
      • This idea has been floated to FD on numerous forums with respect to purchased (or salvaged) ship modules and would obviously apply to rare materials one has obtained
      • It is probably not so simple to implement as it will require extra server overhead in terms of tracking where CMDRs’ stash/es is/are and potentially shifting the contents from station to station, a la having ships ferried to your present station…
      • You might have heard Sandro mention he personally wants to do the ship ferry thing, but no timebox put on it yet, so we prob won’t expect to see this kind of thing in Season 2 – Hell, they’ve not even released 1.5 to beta yet and have remained tight-lipped as to _when_ this week it might appear. This is not particularly encouraging given the bulk of this release is given to 2 new ships and 4 minor variations to existing ships – maybe fixing the colour of the “MISSION TARGET” text is proving to be very difficult 😮

Oi! That's Baron von Schnellenstein to you, mate. No, it doesn't matter that I'm an Imperial Prince!
      Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

I think the biggest preventer of “stored” items is the client-server nature of the game.  With so much heavy work being done on the local machines, player cheating via memory editing is problematic to keep on top of.  In the earlier days, you could memory edit all you want in solo (ie freeze ammo, alter cargo tonnage etc.)

They’ve stepped on that a bit now, but no matter how much integrity tests are done, the code is on your computer and can be altered.

I am a bit negative on the whole argument – its been around since day dot with FD – and we have been doing it with other spacey games as much as we want (Hardw[a]r, X series to mention a couple).

I’m a bit behind on this “crafting” thing, does it exist? How do you know you can carry crafting materials in the remlock?

Participant
      CenturionAngel of TradeAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

I’m a bit behind on this “crafting” thing, does it exist? How do you know you can carry crafting materials in the remlock?

• Crafting is a “thing” to be introduced in Horizons. MB and Sandro have mentioned it in dev updates. Sandro talked about it at length in the livestream this week, which this forum topic is talking to.
      • Today’s dev update sums up what Sandro said: FD Forum – Dev Update – Crafting exists and is a thing
      • In Horizons, rare “materials” can only be collected from planetary surfaces (mineral deposits/crash sites/bases/etc) via the SRV. These materials are the inputs to “synthesis”, which forms the basis of the Elite 2.x crafting system. Initially, crafting will allow synthesis of 3 things for your ship and 3 things for the SRV
      • In terms of personal storage, Sandro said in the livestream that due to the small amounts, CMDRs would carry it around as personal storage. It is persistent, so if you move ships or are shot down, you keep the materials – that’s how I know we will have it. The above FD Dev update confirms it.
      • My allusion to the personal storage being part of one’s Ejector Seat / Remlock is an immersion thing, but it seems the logical application of this personal storage
      • As for station-based personal storage, MB confirmed that FD are looking at station-based materials storage. No doubt, @Hazara, they are looking at ways to give it some immunity to the types of exploits you’ve mentioned.

Oi! That's Baron von Schnellenstein to you, mate. No, it doesn't matter that I'm an Imperial Prince!
      Participant
      Triarii

is it clear what can craft than?

till now i heard just about ammo (and if you use the ‘good stuff’ you get a buff). perhaps a stage 2 after refining, to improve mining profit even more? mining is still something that needs to be more profitable, so ppl start doing it …

:: Si vis pacem, para bellum ::

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.