Sidewinder-SRV Exploration challenge

Home --- Forums --- Angeli Imperial Operations --- Exploring Forum --- Sidewinder-SRV Exploration challenge

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Blain Crighton 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Blain Crighton
    Participant
    CenturionAngel of StrategyAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

I was planning my next exploration trip, and was originally intending to take my trusty Type 7 which had served me so well in the past, with its internals for everything you’d ever want and a jump range somewhere around 22-24 light years depending on final load out number of SRVs and cargo space.

However with the debates in the Beta forums over what an Explorer needs, I have decided that instead I will take a Sidewinder

The mission will be to locate deep space planetary salvage, ideally Meta-metals, and return, and complete the last 50% of Pioneer rank to reach Elite.

No Detailed surface scanner means less info on the planets but they still can be level 2 scanned.
    No AFMU means no repairs to anything as we go.
    No shields means landings will be limited to 0.5g worlds only, unless I plan on taking Hull damage

Sidewinder Mk.I Naval scout for the win

The Kereru is refitted , A2 PP A2 Thrusters and a pair of HSL now they can be deployed in SC
    Drops the jump range a bit though

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Exploration Stats on Departure
    [spoiler]

[/spoiler]

First Planet fall on the way to HD 168675
    [spoiler]

[/spoiler]

HD 168675 had no planets so moved on to HD 167815
    [spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Lots of downed probes but nothing Alien on this Metal rich world about a Blue Giant

With MB saying Barnacles can be found in Nebulae, am now on the way to NGC 4463 SECTOR RY-R E4-5 a planetary nebula around a neutron star.
    I am working on the new theory that the meta-alloys and Space Barnacles can be found in nebulae that are Nova remnants as they are harvesting/grow/eat what ever rare heavy materials a Nova/Super Nova produce

One the way found a system with FOUR water worlds, lacking a Detailed surface scanner cant tell if any are terriformable, but a bounty of life none the less.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

A Detour by a Blue Giant
    [spoiler]

[/spoiler]

And an Earth like
    [spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Xsannz
    CenturionAngel of DiscoveryAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement MissionAngel of Trade

I USED A TYPE 6 FOR THE EXACT reasons you have chosen a sidewinder, with the exception that the jump range can be pushed out to 28-28ly

Assistant Angeli Imperial Custodian (Wangal)

Qui Desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum. | Quis custodiet Ipsos custodes.
    Nascentes morimur. | Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati

Xsannz
    CenturionAngel of DiscoveryAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement MissionAngel of Trade

Why no detailed scanner as that really would have netted you the extra cash needed to push pioneer to elite ranking, otherwise you will only get level 2 detail scans rather than level 3.

the difference is you wont get first discovery 50% bonus

Blain Crighton
    Participant
    CenturionAngel of StrategyAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

Lack of space

Level 2 scans still grant first discovered, it is just the bonus for level 3 scans I miss out on

Xsannz

sorry that was my poor wording , I simply meant the bonus you miss out on, it greatly helps when trying to hit elite.

Blain Crighton
    Participant

The 3700 light year trip to NGC 4463 SECTOR RY-R E4-5 is about 260 jumps

So there will be a lot of time spent in Witch space

Sketchy
      Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

Great screen shot.

Blain Crighton
    Participant

535 Jumps in
    4 more water worlds and two ammonia worlds on the way
    One of them quite huge

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Déjà vu
    [spoiler]

[/spoiler]
    Last Jump
    [spoiler]

[/spoiler]
    Neutron star, 3 metal worlds, a pair of Water worlds and one landable Rocky moon
    [spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Pink Hills, grey plains, blue and red sky
    [spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Zinc Zinc Zinc and Chromium seems to be the metals of choice for NGC 4463 SECTOR RY-R E4-5 3 A

Lots of crash sites

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Prettier at night
    The terrain in the chasms seems rather smooth and sand like – old volcanic flows, might explain the mountain peaks being a different colour as well
    [spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Blain Crighton
    Participant

Contrary to Rumour, I have not collided with a rogue comet
    Just been making the most of summer

Current location is 3320::83::13,120
    The Gap before the inner most arm and the Core, though it has stars a plenty so no worries
    [spoiler]

[/spoiler]
    Well maybe a worry or two, almost a Brown Dwarf too far…
    Main Fuel Tank Drained
    [spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Some nice planets on the way
    [spoiler]

[/spoiler]

One Mile stone (AU Asteroid?) I did reach was 9,000 Systems visited with the jump to Synookoi GC-K C22-20
    Probably just a drop in the bucket next the Intrepid Explorers that have graced this forum
    [spoiler]

[/spoiler]

An Ice Planet in Synookoi GC-K C22-20, stop to get some icecream to celebrate
    [spoiler]

[/spoiler]

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.