SteamVR or Oculus Rift?

Home --- Forums --- General Discussion --- Off-Topic --- SteamVR or Oculus Rift?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Triarii

So as VR inches closer to release, the time of deciding has come. To get the steam vr, HTC Vive, or to get the Oculus Rift.

Opinions? Pros and cons?

Where do you stand?

Master of Chunks

Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

I’m standing by Oculus for the time being. I’ll be sure to check the reviews out for the top contenders once they are officially launched though. One of them supports eye tracking too, which should be beneficial, although I cannot recall which one.

Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

Anyone use rift, etc and use specs?

I’m kinda blind, so need to wear glasses… But want to try out something like the rift!

Participant

I can only speak of the DK2, it came with additional lenses for those with very shortsightedness. The gpu I had at the time was poop, and would only run it on low settings, without much lag.
      Check out the test program on the Oculus website to see if your machine meets the released product specs.

Participant
      Triarii

After some research, and correct me if I’m wrong,

The steam vr uses laser tracking to tell where you are in a room, which would encourage standing and moving around. It is also able to map room boundaries to stop you from walking into a wall.

The oculus uses a camera based tracking system, vs valves laser tracking. Which means the steam vr might be more expensive than the oculus.

In my mind a laser tracking system would provide far less positional latency than a camera based tracked system. In reality I think the difference is much smaller, but even a slight delay could make a difference between motion sickness and comfortable.

Source

Thoughts?

Master of Chunks

CenturionAngel of DiscoveryAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement MissionAngel of Trade

Also vive / steam vr has a built in camera that at push of a button overlays in the headset the rlc veiwsonic in front of you which allows you to then use keyboards etc to type.

Biggest immersion breaker for me on the rift was not being able to use the keyboard to chat or play fps style games properly.

Assistant Angeli Imperial Custodian (Wangal)

Qui Desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum. | Quis custodiet Ipsos custodes.
      Nascentes morimur. | Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati

Participant

Biggest immersion breaker for me on the rift was not being able to use the keyboard to chat or play fps style games properly.

I always wondered how drinking would work with one of these sets on.

Participant
      PrincipesSilver Angel

well if anyone here is amd just do liquid vr also its amd, if your amd its also from your parts manufacturer. thats the way i see it for amd people anyways i am not interested in vr though but yes in all honesty since steam vr is what they said there focusing on first and it has lazer tracking and that overlay option i would say steam vr kinda wins right now

Participant
      Triarii

That overlay sound really cool. Perhaps I will have to go with the vive/ steamvr. Hopefully it will release not too long after the oculus.

Master of Chunks

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.