The Corvette and Cutter

Home --- Forums --- General Discussion --- Elite: Dangerous Discussion --- The Corvette and Cutter

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      SenatorFounding AngelAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

ED Forums

So they’re bigger and more expensive than the Conda, we kind of always knew they would be.  Apparently there’s more info coming on the 9th November about them.

Right now I’m glad I’ve got 2 Condas, I think they’re going to become ‘trade-ins’. :p

:EDIT: 1.5 Beta starts week beginning 9th November – get excited!!!

Participant
      Triarii

rumors tell that we will get carrier capacities (condor/sidewinder) for dropship, conda and the corvette …

:: Si vis pacem, para bellum ::

SenatorFounding AngelAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

I dare say the Cutter will also be able to carry.  Fun times.  🙂

Participant
      CenturionAngel of StrategyAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

My money is the Corvette and Cutter will be able to carry two short range fighters

The Federal Gunship & Anaconda one

Participant
      Triarii

yep. im interessted in the implifications.

1. carry around your frieds .. jea .. no … i dont know … do we want that? fly a condor just to be able to have a little bit of battlestar galactica feeling? i dont know.
      2. fly it yourself … phu … do we leave an conda to enter a fight with a sidewinder? well .. ahm … i would not.
      3. NPC mercenaries. in a lot of games it is possible to hire a gun-for-hire … i dont see a reason it could not be done here. to have an condor around could be quite a nice thing. (but if there are mercenaries … wouldnt it be better to hire … say … a vulture?)
      4. the place for the ship … if you carry a fighter, you might lose 100 – 300t’s of cargo space … this might be a darn big downside (if we are thinking ‘trader’).
      5. leaves some kind of special vehicles … but there as far as it looks .. there is nothing lika a ‘planet observer mini ship’ planed

so … i have the strangest feeling that this will be the chapter next to mines: great idea, but not very attractive …

Participant
      CenturionAngel of StrategyAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

From the Q&A the SRV will just go in a cargo bay and take up space, if the fighters are the same I would wager the F63 Condor and ISRF will be 16 tons a piece so 32 tons for the pair

Participant
      Triarii

i would guess that a hangar would be an new part to buy (class 6?) … the srv is something different … you can put a small car into an cargo (knight rider style!) .. but if you want a ship inside a ship, incl the ability to start and land … you might have some issues doing that with no special equipt … i guess.

16 tons seams pretty low to me … i mean we are talking about good 600m³ of space for a condor … thats 600t water … (or 11 800t gold)  … but if we stay with tonnage … yea … a sidewinder has only 25t … but what if it has cargo .. ahhhh … i am overthinking that. again. 😀

Participant
      Centurion

Keep in mind that the Anaconda, Corvette, Cutter and, Gunship all have a hangar bay pre-installed.  I have been following this closely and what I have divined so far is;

Fighters are designed to compliment, not hinder a trading style of gameplay.  FDev has said that  since in larger ships which have been outiftted for trading (such as an Anaconda) have low maneuverability and generally lower firepower, carrying a fighter would help to compensate.

It is reasonable to assume that the Anaconda, Corvette, Cutter and, Gunship are all capable of carrying fighters due to the presence of the standard hangar door on all of these ships.  Perhaps it may be possible to upgrade other ship (Type 9 for instance) to carry fighters as well?

Also.  FDev has confirmed that you will be able to fly your own fighter.  They have also confirmed that you will be able to send an AI to do it for you while you stay in the carrier.  Based on David Braben’s comments in the recent Q&A, I doubt that you will need to hire such an AI.  I believe they will be default.
      Additionally, FDev confirmed that, to a greater or lesser degree, an AI can control your ship while you are in your fighter.  As to the quality of this AI?  That is left to be seen.

As to hired NPC wing men? David Braben also addressed this in the recent Q&A saying that this would be coming later down the road for E:D and there is no current time frame.

I seriously suggest you look at what FDev has already posted about these topics.  It has satisfied my curiosity since Horizons was announced.  I am impressed with any developer who can do that.

Link to the Braben Q&A last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdP1DmRYco8

HIP 20199 - Assistant to the Custodian

An Epitome of Elegance... And Class

I would kill for a sneaky look at the Cutter, we’ve seen the ‘Vette, but all we’ve seen of the Cutter is speculation and ‘possible’ concept drawings.  Roll on next week…..

Participant
      Triarii

thanks for the summary, fox.

but .. i dont beliefe (in) dev blogs (anymore). i (still) beliefe (in) speculations 😀

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.