The Engineers (Beta 2.1)

Home --- Forums --- General Discussion --- Elite: Dangerous Discussion --- The Engineers (Beta 2.1)

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Centurion

As many of you probably already know, the Engineers Beta was delayed until May.  But we’ve got some cool things inbound…

FDev has released the first two modification types designated EDEA002 and EDEA003.  I suspect this stands for Elite Dangerous Engineer Archive.  What’s interesting about 003 is that we may now have Shock Mine launchers integrated into our cannons.  That means with the 003 upgrade Cannons can now push enemy ships off course.  That’s cool.  Unfortunately, EDEA002 was not quite as interesting.  002 gives Pulse Lasers the ability to generate heat on the enemy ship.  This would be quite useful against either a shield tank who needs to stay cool to use their SCBs, or a Railgun ship who is generating massive heat when they attack.  I only wish the upgrade were more original and I hope that we’ll have plenty more where those came from.  (FDev has hinted that Engineer functionality may be limited to Season 2 players only)

Next on the block we have the outfitting screen which is getting a complete overhaul.  It’s looking good.  I’m certain I’m not the only one who has hit the ‘Sort by Module Type’ button and still looked for a good minute before finding where the Fuel Scoops are.  With this new format we will be able to see all of the module available for the chosen compartment/hardpoint.  In grid form instead of list!  We will also have the weapon information, displayed in detail on the screen.  This means exact percentages of DPS increase or decrease are displayed when using the ‘Compare’ function.  (This will be available for Season 1 and 2 players)

Galaxy Map changes.  Fairly good for what we have a tendency of doing here at AIE.  We may now make bookmarks!  This will save you all 32,000 credits when you want to keep track of a system.  No more need to own dozens of Sidewinders!  In addition, we will have the ability to search for systems based on the Background Simulation State they are currently experiencing.  Be that War, Expansion, Boom or what-have-you.  (This will be available for Season 1 and 2 players)

Horizons changes.  New POIs (Points Of Interest)!  I was skeptical about the POIs when they were first introduced.  I didn’t enjoy the way they worked in space and I was afraid that it would be the same thing planet side.  Now they claim to be adding many more POIs, giving the example of a crashed DB on a dusty planet surface.  FDev has given very little information on this point so I remain skeptical.  (This will be available to Season 2 players only)

Weapon Additions.  We’re getting Class 4 Beam Lasers and Pulse Lasers alongside Class 3 and 4 Multi-Cannons.  Sorry for fans of the Burst Laser because it looks like they were left out of the upgrade.  The larger weapons all come with variants for both Gimballed and Fixed.  (This will be available for Season 1 and 2 players)

Drive Upgrades.  This topic has by far the least information on it.  FDev stated in Newsletter 120 that Class 2 and 3 thrusters will be given an “Enhanced” version.  It was stated that these would be very fun for racing.  I haven’t the slightest idea what they are, but the Imperial Eagle uses Class 3 thrusters so you bet I’ll be trying them!

USS Changes.  USSs are going to experience undisclosed alterations which will effect missions and random encounters.  The Pilots Federation has also included a complimentary scanner modification as a membership benefit which will allow you to generate information about USS encounters.

Beta is scheduled to launch on May 8th.

This is what I have for now.  Lets join together in our prayers to Lady Luck that update 2.1/1.6 will be all that we hope for.

In the name of the Emperor,

HIP 20199 - Assistant to the Custodian

An Epitome of Elegance... And Class

Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

Thanks for the informative post, Fox.

I am certainly looking forward to this update, I have been finding it difficult to find motivation to login.

Beta access is 8th May.

Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

I have been finding it difficult to find motivation to login.

Blasphemy!
      Take two (dozen) beers and call me in the morning.
      😉

Participant

Blasphemy! Take two (dozen) beers and call me in the morning. ?

I do all my flying drunk, so, it’ll have to be, take two dozen and get on team speak.

Went to Gateway to cause trouble, met a trader, had a good chat, let him go. Felt bad about killing players, went home.
      Getting soft in my old age.

Participant
      Centurion

This just in on the Elite Dangerous Youtube channel!  Demonstrations of the new C4 hardpoints are also available.

Force Shell.  Imperially designed, Federally tested.

Participant

That is so cool!
      I can see some interesting use of alternate fire groups coming up…

I can also see a lot of VR users flying with a sick bag…

Participant
        Centurion

I can also see a lot of VR users flying with a sick bag…

Didn’t even think of that!  I love it.  The Hauler at the end was absolutely brutal.  I hope that the spin amount scales with the class of the cannon.  C4 cannon blasting away at Sidewinders and Couriers!

Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

Woohoo a birthday present!  I’m looking forward to this more than I expected – and with this mornings newsletter!!

Participant
      Centurion

New Newsletter!  If you are at all interested in the 1.6/2.6 update, check this out!

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=f370305f3a

Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

Those shock canons are going to be awesome for camping in font of the toaster racks!

Participant
      Centurion

Oh my. The new missile damage is horrific. Darn things actually take out weapons and life support now. I’m glad that the C2 missiles I’ve had on my Anaconda have a real use now.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.