Why me PC so not fast?

Home --- Forums --- General Discussion --- Elite: Dangerous Discussion --- Why me PC so not fast?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      SenatorFounding AngelAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

I’ve had an issue ever since I started playing ED.  It runs beautifully on my own or with a group of about 3 or 4.  But once I get to a busy area, Quivira being a good example of this, I drop to about 18fps (normally around 40-50) and laggy.

This causes me to have to play in either private or solo otherwise I could cause all kinds of carnage in an uncontrolled Anaconda.

I’m currently in the process of upgrading, I bought a new ASRock mobo and am saving up for a new i5 CPU , then I can start slowly upgrading the rest of the PC too.  My internet conn is normally really good (iiNet) and I’ve never had any issues with it.

Tips?

Currently running:

Win 7 home
      i3-2100 @ 3.1GHZ
      8GB RAM
      AMD Radeon HD 5700

Reason for the upgrade was I tried to get a new GFX card but the mobo wouldn’t accept it.  Hence the crappy GFX card

Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

I only just had this same issue, while going back to LHS 3447 to sell a stored ship, about 3 days ago.
      There were about 5-6 players in the system and it slowed my frame rate down drastically, although I didn’t check it to give you an exact figure.
      It is the first time it has been an issue, and while I’m not running a beast, here are my stats:
      Win 7 64bit Ult
      Intel i7-2600 3.4ghz
      16GB RAM
      AMD Radeon HD 5700, due for an upgrade
      I also run the operating system and ED on an SSD.
      I’d call my connection…temperamental. 1233 kB/s (9.86Mpbs) while it is acting as it should, to 27.5 kB/s when a neighbour’s tree blows in the way of the radio signal.

If we get enough data here, we hopefully can see a link. Or nothing. What ever 🙂

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by AvatarSketchy.
      Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

Most people I’ve seen in an instance recently has been 2 – 3, and it’s been fairly stable.

Get a bit of hitching sometimes in SC, and the normal “billiards” effect in combat sometimes.

My PC isn’t the flashiest, but runs Elite maxed out @60FPS for the most part (found setting AA at above 4x caused issues in High Intensity, but nowhere else)

Win 7 home

Core 2 Quad Q9400 @ 2.66Ghz

8GB RAM

AMD 7870 Gfx (Sapphire OC version)

Boot & ED running from an SSD

100/50 fibre connection (no change to the occasional lag when I was on a 30/10 fibre)

Without evidence, I think that you might be right about the DaMorgs group size; since the game is trying to run P2P you probably have quite a bit of overhead trying to matchmake you to other instances…

Is the group necessary, other than as a roll call?

Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

Last night I was getting slowdowns in the same system, steadily dropped form 60fps to 12 or 15.

Dropping out of SC & back into SC fixed it for a while.

I suspect its the sheer number of players… I would have seen a good 15+ all skipping around looking for these invisible warzones.

FTR I’m on an i3 3.1 as well but have overclocked it to 3.8 and bumped the ram up too.

7870 Graphics too.  When I do resource monitoring, its my CPU pegged @ 50% so assuming no hyperthreading being used thats 100% load.

Whats your internet speed like?  www.speedtest.net

Participant

Those 7870 GPU cards are really nice. Must get one.

Participant

Maybe we should get a scientific wing to investigate the FPS impact of shooting ships in heavily populated areas?

If we wing up, check we have consistent performance & all jump together into a high populated system and crack some federation system defence ships?

Anybody up for some ‘research’ this week?

Participant

That’s some worthwhile research, keen.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.