Windows 10, AMD drivers and you

Home --- Forums --- General Discussion --- Elite: Dangerous Discussion --- Windows 10, AMD drivers and you

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

As you may know, windows 10 and the latest amd graphics drivers don’t play nicely with elite.

I’ve been playing over the past few days, and found the best experience with the 15.6beta drivers for Win 8.1.

I still see slowdowns in super cruise, but not as dramatically as with the 15.7.1 drivers.

I can handle dropping to 32FPS in SC, but found it impossible to interdict or avoid interdictions when frame rate dropped to 11FPS.

To roll back the drivers, I needed to uninstall the AMD installer, the catalyst control centre, remove the AMD installation folder, and uninstall the drivers for the video adaptor from windows device management.

Participant
      CenturionAngel of TradeAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

== for most of us, stay on Win7 for as long as possible.

Thanks for the handy hint @nzsimian

Oi! That's Baron von Schnellenstein to you, mate. No, it doesn't matter that I'm an Imperial Prince!
      Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

Further to this, just to add insult to injury, the AMD drivers in question are supplied as a Windows update.

With Windows 10, updates re mandatory, so the latest version will constantly reinstall.

So, to prevent the update re-applying, and killing your drivers, grab the MS Fixit patch from here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Set the AMD driver to hidden, then go through the uninstall/installation of older drivers loop.

Participant

New information on this;

Edit: verbose, with images, for my memory

Open device manager

Uninstall AMD drivers

Completely uninstall AMD drivers

Run Windows patch to prevent automatic update of drivers

Change device driver download settings

Change device installation settings

Install AMD 15.6Beta drivers for windows 8.1 (sorry, can’t find a link)

Participant
      Triarii

Excellent.

After a brief test it looks like I’m at a rock steady 60fps again. I can’t remember the last time I interdicted some npc chump at 60fps. It’s much easier 😉

Thanks again NZSimian 🙂 I’d tried these drivers before but didn’t know about the windows auto update. Normally I’d be in your debt, but you’re a kiwi and I’m still upset about the world cup 😛

-X

Eat Plasma!

Participant
      CenturionAngel of StrategyAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

I uninstalled the drivers and now the darn thing crashes when installing any AMD drivers, be they the Windows 8.1 beta or the Windows 10 drivers.

I have tried the AMDDriverCleaner utility, but now cannot install any new drivers

Any suggestions?

Participant

Aww, crap.

You’re installing the correct bit-version of the drivers for your OS?

Depending on how you’re getting on by Monday evening, give me a yell on TS.

If you’d like I can have a look around via teamviewer as needed.

Participant

Any suggestions?

Windows 7. Stop the madness.

Participant
      CenturionAngel of StrategyAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

I prefer to keep a fresh install as a last resort

Perfect timing with the 2.0 Beta coming *argh*

Participant

Used the DDU tool to clear everything AMD related and did a fresh install on the drivers and it seems to be working

*touch wood*

Participant

In the latest reddit AMA with David Braben, we get the following shining ray of hope:

Yes, we know this is a frustrating problem for many people with Win 10 and AMD, which affects all recent driver versions (though it is possible to downgrade to 15.6 I think). We understand there is a fix coming in driver version 15.301.

We are trying to get a date from AMD when this fix will go live.

sause: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/3wx239/david_braben_ask_me_anything/

Now, a date for the 15.301 drivers from AMD?
      Anyone want to take a guess?
      Soon™

Edit: formatting

Participant
      Triarii

It’ll be sometime between thursday and the heat death of the universe.

-X

Eat Plasma!

Participant

Latest AMD graphic drivers resolve the supercruise bug!

Hat tip to @vasious – good spotting!

Drivers available here:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+10+-+64

You’re after the Crimson Edition 16.1 Hotfix, released 7/Jan/2016

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.