Advice for an ED Novice

Home --- Forums --- General Discussion --- Elite: Dangerous Discussion --- Advice for an ED Novice

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Foederati

So here’s the deal.

I’ve completed all basic training missions except the last incursion mission. I’ve nervously started exploring some of the nearby systems and I still have the first stock standard ship. I’ve decided I want to mine some ore and have purchased a mining laser.

I found some astroids and while mining some Xbox Live nub swooped in and blew me to kingdom come.

Where to from here?

Lead me in my ED journey o’ wise ones!

Participant
      Foederati

So CMDR KFED,

You mentioned I should concentrate on missions first with a goal of upgrading my ship. I did consider this and have been to two stations and looked to see if there were any jobs going on the boards but at both stations there was nothing? Do I need to do something first before I can start doing jobs or I have just been unlucky that there was nothing around at that time?

SenatorFounding AngelAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

You’ll need to make sure you have cargo space on your ship, you may find the refinery has taken that away.  Put in cargo bays (I think you can carry 6 tonnes from memory.  That will then give you cargo missions. Take X to Y and get paid $$.

They don’t pay much at first but as you increase your influence with factions they’ll pay more for your services.  However only having a small ship means that a couple of thousand credits is a lot of money for you.

If you are looking to head into combat get yourself an Eagle, then up to Viper and go from there.

If you are looking at trade or other stuff, Sidewinder/Hauler/Cobra will be a good start for you.

Of course if you were on PC/MAC I could come and help you suckle from the breast of the Queen. 🙂

Participant
      Foederati

Thanks mate. Sounds like some good tips. Perhaps I should ditch the mining idea and look at purchasing a better ship and starting some missions tonight.

Participant
      Principes

Make sure you have enough credits to cover insurance excess fee before you buy a new ship. Otherwise you will have to start back in sidewinder, but i guess that wont be much of a problem for starting ships since the insurance is quite cheap.

Here’s some nice sites for planning your ship loadouts.

http://www.edshipyard.com/

http://coriolis.io/

Participant
      Foederati

This is brilliant! Thank you!!!

Participant
      Foederati

Oh wow,

I purchased an Eagle and equipped it with x2 pulse lasers. Took off from the station and headed out into space to hunt those who have broken the law. Long story short, found some dude and pulled out the puppies to start blasting and I lost all power. The dude messed me up good while I tried to figure out what was happening.

Stared again, paid my insurance and bought a bigger engine. Headed off to bring justice to those in need. Found some wanted guy and got into a scrim. He kept jumping away. It would take me another 10 minutes to find. It looked like I may have been able to scan his frame shift drive smoke, but didn’t know how.

Managed to bump into him again, same guy, scrimmed it up again and he jump away again. I limped back to the nearest station.

Any suggestions about what I’m doing wrong or how to scan the FSD wake?

Cheers.

SenatorFounding AngelAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

If he high wakes (jumps out of the system) you need a wake shift scanner to follow him.  If he low wakes (back into supercruise) you can just follow him without scanning.

Power management is a big thing in this game.  Set anything that is not required in combat to priority 5 or as low as you can get it, they will shut down when you deploy your weapons and save some power.  Set your weapons to 2.

Also in PvP it is better to have 4 pips in systems, this will give your shields a bit of a boost, your weapons burn out quicker, put you’ll probably survive longer as a result.

Participant
      Foederati

Thanks mate, I think I understand most of that. I’ll give it another go tonight.

Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

Keep at it!  The eagle is a nice little beast, but you need a decent powerplant.  You can get by by switching off power to un-needed systems, cargo hatch, FSD, k-warrant.

Bounty hunting in res points was my kickstart, I know there is a lot more to try, but dont try & do it all at the beginning.

Dont be afraid to get a hauler & spend a week grinding credits either.

Participant
      Principes

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=103401

Very good tool for trading.

Also a tip on PvP, don’the be afraid of running away when you find yourself outclassed. Dying is part of the fun, but try not to get blown up too often until you can afford it.

Participant
      Foederati

Thanks guys. I’ve got about 20,000 credits left. I keep dying during engagements. Maybe I need to kill one then get out of there. I finally made it back to the station I started at.

I don’t know what to do now. Every time I earn 3000 for a kill, I get killed and it costs me 4500 credits to get my ship back!!!!

Participant
      Foederati

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=103401 Very good tool for trading. Also a tip on PvP, don’the be afraid of running away when you find yourself outclassed. Dying is part of the fun, but try not to get blown up too often until you can afford it.

Anyone got a FTP database setup or is there a way i can download someones database trying to cut down on all the data to fill.

Participant
      Foederati

OK, I’m slowly getting better. Tonight I track 3 signals and claimed over 10K worth of credits. Unfortunately I found some canisters on the way back to Worlidge Terminal floating in space and picked 2 up. I got an 8K fine when I went to land.

Oh the Humanity! 🙂

Participant
        CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

Hehe, yeah I’ve been in that situation before 🙂
        I’m happy to meet up with you for a wing in a res site, sometime. So long as you get a shot in, it’ll pay you well.
        Good chance of death though. Always a drawback.

Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

Carrying ~100Tonnes of Battleweapons into port in a T6, without checking their legality in-system first?

Just coming to the mailslot when “scan detected” isn’t what you wanted to hear.

Then finding out that the station didn’t have a black market either, and having to run the gauntlet on the way out as well…

Participant
      CenturionAngel of TradeAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

That’s the downside of all the AI’s good work putting Imperial Corporations in power wherever we go:-  Those corporates shut down black markets in stations they control 🙁

When I was starting out, I made a fair bit of extra cash by:

(1) Getting friendly or better status with controlling faction of main stations I was trading at in my ‘home’ group of systems.  I’d try to pick a couple of main stations on the basis of them having a black market.  Being on friendly or Allied terms means much less scans.

(2) Picking up salvage missions from the BBS

(3) Taking on extra salvage:  more than what I needed for the mission, plus any random stuff I came across – especially artefacts, trade data, stolen tech

(4) Sell the extra salvage on the black market

Oi! That's Baron von Schnellenstein to you, mate. No, it doesn't matter that I'm an Imperial Prince!
      Participant
      Foederati

Thanks again guys.

I’m slowly getting there! 🙂

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.