ANTERES, and New Jump drives

Home --- Forums --- General Discussion --- Elite: Dangerous Discussion --- ANTERES, and New Jump drives

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      CenturionAngel of DiscoveryAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement MissionAngel of Trade

Did anyone else notice this story on GalNet and realize the implications?

The Antares had a new type of hyperspace drive on it, one that had greater range than current FSDs have, and the recovery of the wreckage and subsequent analysis means that Sirius Corp can ‘fix’ the problem that occurred so the drive can be updated and used.

Which means drives with greater jump ranges…..

Your FDLs and Corvettes may no longer be stuck with an 11LY jump range folks, and our exploration build Asps and Anacondas may be able to go distances that we could only imagine in our onionhead inspired fantasies previously.

Note that Galnet article mentions a new era of interplanetary, not interstellar travel. Could this mean that we may finally be able to make in-system jumps? This could make nav beacons, checkpoints and other such locations meaningful: you could either make in-system jumps between them and save time (and risk getting pirated/scanned), or do a supercruise run and risk only interdictions.

I hope this means they’re going to introduce military drives soon. Massive jump ranges for everyone, at the expense of hull or generating toxic waste each jump.

I hazard a guess it will require crafting materials to use… such as meta alloys or UA’s etc

basically changing the ranges etc with different crafting materials, or being able to create a NOS boost charge etc,

Much like the books in the Wanted book the Bounty hunter FDL used charges fed into the powerplant allowing huge speeds for short bursts but required venting after a while or risk blowing it up….

Assistant Angeli Imperial Custodian (Wangal)

Qui Desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum. | Quis custodiet Ipsos custodes.
      Nascentes morimur. | Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati

Participant
      Triarii

Dude. That would awesome!!

Master of Chunks

CenturionAngel of DiscoveryAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement MissionAngel of Trade

Also this ties in to the discussion around navigation beacon uses and creating more depth to gameplay

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=223490

Participant
      Centurion

@xsannz Consider the time period Sirius designed the drive.  Meta Alloys and UAs had not yet been discovered, which means that (assuming their fix is as simple as they implied) the new drive should be able to operate more-or-less like the standard FSDs.  Perhaps a new type of fuel will be used?  I would not mind some fuel that costs 2-10 times more, currently the price tag on fuel is just a novelty item.

I remember Braben speaking about the possibility of jumping to secondary stars within a star system.  He mentioned unspecified technical difficulties.  Therefor I can only assume that the statement saying ‘interplanetary’ may be referring to 1) A possible replacement to supercruise, but perhaps not as drastic as micro-jumping. 2) Interplanetary, as in between habitable planets? Which may mean he was referring to the interplanetary/interstellar trade between systems.

I cannot wait for Sirius to make something out of this.  I am the proud new owner of an FDL.. but it’s drive range is at 12.8, that’s stupid.  I’m 180LY out from Wangal and I’m terribly discouraged.  That’s why I am writing on the forums instead of flying my brand new FDL… It has an A4 Plasma Acc, I love it.

As for the discussion about Nav Beacons: Yes, I think that it would be absolutely great if we jumped into a system, with the normal 40 second FSD cooldown, except in normal space at the Nav beacon instead of at the star.

This brings up a secondary concern however.  If a Nav Beacon is so important to interstellar jumps, why can we jump to uncharted systems?  There are two ways I see to approach this:
      The first is an increase to jump range if the target system has a beacon (which is not (“compromised”).  If you are jumping to a system without a beacon you will need to travel at the current standard jump range.
      The second method is in my opinion more interesting.  Ships jumping to a system without a beacon would need to do what was referred to as a “Far Away” in the Elite: Dangerous fiction book Reclamation, or face the possibility of jumping directly into the gravity well of the local star.  A Far Away is a manually plotted jump to a specific location in the system.  It’s supposedly less accurate than a computer assisted (Computer assistance based on the Nav Beacons?) jump, which means that perhaps the explorer would need to be responsible for positioning their arrival point far enough away from the star for safety.  But of course, this would be a major mechanic to add.  Xsannz, as the most experienced explorer I know, what are your opinions on these ideas?  Specifically the second one.

Nav Beacons have bothered me since a first hit upward thrust at Engle Orbital last year, I would love to see something good come from them.

HIP 20199 - Assistant to the Custodian

An Epitome of Elegance... And Class

Participant
        CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

There’s a quote around somewhere from Braben regarding extra-solars (something like ‘they exist and they’re already there’), which I may have taken out of context but hope it means free-roaming brown dwarves, like Nibiru.

Note:

I mean the huge things in space, ya know – planets, stars and that stuff.

I don’t have anything against dwarves, but finding them free roaming through the galaxy would be a little too creepy.

Old elite had military class drives that fuel cost 10 times as much and generated waste that had to be dumped but only up to class 3 so it would only be for fighter class or mid six ships not corvette or large ships

I am hoping this is the case I remember hauling my fdl to wangal from shinrarta that was so painful

Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

Old elite had military class drives that fuel cost 10 times as much and generated waste that had to be dumped but only up to class 3 so it would only be for fighter class or mid six ships not corvette or large ships I am hoping this is the case I remember hauling my fdl to wangal from shinrarta that was so painful

And it was so satisfying to drop several tonnes of radioactive waste as you’re chasing down your assassination target, while in the atmosphere above a major city on Earth.

Watch as the po-po come up, hit an energy bomb, drop the target, get to minimum safe height for a jump and punch it.

Participant
      Centurion

I’d love to have a different type of drive.  I’ve been saying for months, we should have a drive that costs more to operate and takes two or three times as long to charge, but has %20-%50 longer range than it’s counter part.  Make it tough to use in a tight situation, but for long distance travel it beats everything else hands down.

That’s what I want!

Participant
      CenturionAngel of StrategyAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

Was the Antares Highliner fitted with an early FSD or an experimental Generation 2 jump drive?

FSD and Fast Jump Drives came in in 3280 didnt they?

The Highliner Antares was to be the first of a new type of fast, comfortable liner, making a trip in hours rather than the weeks that were common at the time, and offering a previously unseen level of luxury – something we are accustomed to in the top-class liners of today. It was the first ship to use a production version of a new type of hyperdrive, a predecessor to the modern fast hyperdrives.

The Antares vanished during its maiden voyage in the Sirius system in 3251, with many celebrity guests on board. The event is poignantly remembered in this quote from the Federal Times:

The final safety report into the incident found there were insufficient safety precautions within the internal drive systems. This delayed the commercial introduction of these drives for several years, damaging the Sirius Corporation, and ultimately resulting in the fitting of many additional safety features to these new hyperdrives. It was later speculated that the deaths of those on the Highliner Antares effectively saved the lives of many more in the subsequent decades, as the number of ships that went missing was measurably reduced, and the new drives proved to be much more reliable than the earlier, slower drives they replaced.

Sounds like less advanced that the Drives we have now, in fact the accident allowed for the Gen 3 Jump drives we have now

Participant
      Centurion

The Frame Shift Drives were implemented in the mid 3270’s, with the first public sale in 3274.

I believe you to be correct Blain.  I remember when the Galnet article you’re quoting was released.  I do however think FDev disagrees with us.  A quote from the most recent article in this chain “With luck, we will be able to reintroduce the innovative drive technology used aboard the Antares. This discovery could serve as the catalyst for a whole new era of interplanetary travel.” This suggests that there was something on the Antares which was not incorporated into the gen 3 drives.  Or perhaps it’s just FDev’s excuse to give us something new.

SPOILER ALERT.

sorry all

Being a dev I started doing some code and log file digging.

In the game files, there is a folder called “fuel”, and within that, there is military, value, value 1, value 2, and value 3.

Participant
      CenturionAngel of StrategyAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

Those folders have been there since beta or gamma IIRC

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.