Anyone recently made the sidewinder pilgrimage?

Home --- Forums --- General Discussion --- Elite: Dangerous Discussion --- Anyone recently made the sidewinder pilgrimage?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Principes

Looks like I may be good to go for next weekend (I hope!), anyone recently made the sidewinder pilgrimage got any comments on what you did and what you specced and how it all went?

Keymaster
      SenatorFounding AngelAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.

I did it in a Hauler, took all the weapons and shields off, pot a disc scanner on and the best FSD i could get.

Easy Peasy

Participant
        Principes

I did it in a Hauler, took all the weapons and shields off, pot a disc scanner on and the best FSD i could get. Easy Peasy

Ideally I want something I can start some easy bounty hunting for cash when I get there, I’m not really a trader.

http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=601,5QG5QG,2-3w3w3m2M2M2M22,7Og4yQ

Gets me there in 40 jumps, though if I fuck up I don’t have insurance money and will get sent back to spawn…

maybe swapping to hauler and then swapping back again is the way to go

Keymaster
      SenatorFounding AngelAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.

I sold is as soon as I got back.

Participant
        Principes

I sold is as soon as I got back.

Don’t forget all I’ll have is starter credits though

IDK I just remember hearing something about starter pulse lasers being “loaned” and selling for 0cr or something

otoh with discovery scanner i should get some credits on the way through

Participant
      Principes

I did it in a Hauler, took all the weapons and shields off, pot a disc scanner on and the best FSD i could get. Easy Peasy

Actually I just spotted the flaw in this plan… hauler is more expensive than sidey 😉

new plan: http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=601,,2-3w3w3m2M2M2M22,mpT4yQ2Uc makes it in 22 jumps

CenturionFounding Angel

You don’t start with any money to upgrade, in the stock sidey and if you want to come straight away without earning a single credit then do this:

http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=601,,2-3w3w3w2M2M2M22,

If you die the worst that happens is you lose time as you can get everything else back for free.

Just be careful not to bump into anything with no shields.

If you are willing to spend a little longer getting down then reduce your jump range by keeping the basic D scanner, use it to ping every star once you jump to a system for a nice little pile of credits selling the data when you arrive.

Participant
      Principes

You don’t start with any money to upgrade, in the stock sidey and if you want to come straight away without earning a single credit then do this: http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=601,,2-3w3w3w2M2M2M22, If you die the worst that happens is you lose time as you can get everything else back for free. Just be careful not to bump into anything with no shields. If you are willing to spend a little longer getting down then reduce your jump range by keeping the basic D scanner, use it to ping every star once you jump to a system for a nice little pile of credits selling the data when you arrive.

No you don’t start with credits to upgrade but I was under the impression I will get credits for selling the shields and cargo racks, hence

http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=601,,2-3w3w3m2M2M2M22,mpT4yQ2Uc

edit: can’t get the damn hyperlink to work no matter what I try

CenturionFounding Angel

no from memory everything on the ship starts as ‘loaned’ hence the reason its free.

I could be wrong, its been a long time since i started in one. you might have enough cash to buy the basic fuel scoop which saves you having to dock to refuel but that’s probably about it.

The upside of having to dock though is it ‘saves’ everytime you dock so in the event you did go boom you would start much closer.

CenturionFounding Angel

To be honest though don’t overthink it too much, there is no optimal way to get to Wangal and seeing as you’ve not played in the full world yet take your time and have fun.

It will take you a while to get used to everything even after playing all the tutorials, so just explore the game and have fun even if its in the systems local to your start.

You can always reset you game if it goes a bit funny and start again, it was quite a common thing to do for most of us.

Participant
      Principes

no from memory everything on the ship starts as ‘loaned’ hence the reason its free. I could be wrong, its been a long time since i started in one. you might have enough cash to buy the basic fuel scoop which saves you having to dock to refuel but that’s probably about it. The upside of having to dock though is it ‘saves’ everytime you dock so in the event you did go boom you would start much closer.

oh ok then I’ll just farm some cash in starter area then

I had only heard about weapons being loaned so…

Participant
      Principes

To be honest though don’t overthink it too much, there is no optimal way to get to Wangal and seeing as you’ve not played in the full world yet take your time and have fun. It will take you a while to get used to everything even after playing all the tutorials, so just explore the game and have fun even if its in the systems local to your start. You can always reset you game if it goes a bit funny and start again, it was quite a common thing to do for most of us.

yeah but getting to wangal right at the start means I don’t have to fuck around with it later when I really want to be messing around trying things in combat 😛

but if everything counts as loaned then I think I’ll just grind for this:

http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=60L,5QG5QG,2-3w5U5K2M3w3w3c,7QE02M2Uc

Also I derped and realised I was leaving the start point for EDShipyard route planner on sol even though you don’t start in sol… still min jump distance to be able to route to wangal SHOULD be the same just the amount of jumps will differ.

edit: googled starter systems and seems to be 31-35 jumps to wangal from wherever

Inactive

Keep the basic discovery scanner and sell the shields and fit a fuel scoop 1E

Wangal-or-Bust-winder

Use the Economic route setting, Aim for Kappa Fornacis

It WILL take a lot of jumps, but  ping and scan as you go, adjust your route when you pass the unscoopable belt, and dock if you need to refuel and there wont be scoopables with out a big side track

Basic Video on route planning

At Kappa Fornacis stop at Harvest Port in orbit of Panem and sell your discovery data, this will get you enough for a Better Frame shift drive. Also buy 4 tonnes of Onion Head.

Then Plot an Economic route to Wangal, scanning as you go, even if just the main star.

From the sales of the Data and Onionhead inWangal, you should be able to get an Eagle, and start outfitting it to you Dream craft.

Participant
      Principes

Keep the basic discovery scanner and sell the shields and fit a fuel scoop 1E Wangal-or-Bust-winder Use the Economic route setting, Aim for Kappa Fornacis It WILL take a lot of jumps, but ping and scan as you go, adjust your route when you pass the unscoopable belt, and dock if you need to refuel and there wont be scoopables with out a big side track Basic Video on route planning <span class=”embed-youtube” style=”text-align: center; display: block;”>[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rMr5SvW4VA?version=3&rel=1&fs=1&showsearch=0&showinfo=1&iv_load_policy=1&wmode=transparent%5D</span&gt; At Kappa Fornacis stop at Harvest Port in orbit of Panem and sell your discovery data, this will get you enough for a Better Frame shift drive. Also buy 4 tonnes of Onion Head. Then Plot an Economic route to Wangal, scanning as you go, even if just the main star. From the sales of the Data and Onionhead inWangal, you should be able to get an Eagle, and start outfitting it to you Dream craft.

Moritasgus said everything on it counts as loaned :C

Does it? I’m guessing it does since you don’t actually upgrade anything in that build just drop weight.

Thanks for the tips and video, though I was considering grinding an el cheapo eagle near spawn hadn’t decided either way.

How long to get 70k from res/nav in a freewinder you reckon? That would give me http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=60L,5QG5QG,2-3w5U5K2M3w3w3c,7QE4yQ2Uc + 4 insurance in case I manage to fuck up drastically somehow on the way, or for usage after I get there for fighting.

Anyway the main upside being of course that I can practice combat and if I screw up I can just take the freewinder again 😀

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.