Controller (Yay or Nay?)

Home --- Forums --- General Discussion --- Elite: Dangerous Discussion --- Controller (Yay or Nay?)

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Foederati

I said hey a few weeks ago but went into lock-down for uni exams.

I’ll be buying the game in the next few days.

Wanted some opinions though on what controller interface everyone is using?

I have a single-stick joystick but it wouldn’t provide enough controllers to cover all of the ship movement options. Would probably have to forego translation of the ship. Or I could have all the ship controls but I would lose my ability to turn the pilots head.

Alternative is to use a gamepad but I don’t see this being nearly as useful.

What do other people use? Is it worth getting a joystick which has a separate throttle control with an extra thumb-joystick?

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

I’ll upload a config I found (not that I use), for the extreme 3d joystick (that a heap of commanders, including me, use).

The game is designed to be played with anything from keyboard/mouse, Xbox, hotas or anything in between – really down to your style, gameplay and  the amount of $$ you want to outlay.

I upgraded from an old saitek cyborg v1 (@hazara, you want it for hazara jnr?), but that was mainly because it was cheap, I like Logitech, and I couldn’t afford the desk space for hotas.

I was considering using the old saitek as my off hand analogue thruster and extra controls but gave up on that idea – not enough space…

When I was trading, the joystick gathered dust expect for interdictions & pointing away from those great big hot things.

Anyway, I bang away at my freaking loud ergo keyboard for all the controls that don’t have commands on the joystick..

If you need hints on keyboard setup, have a chat to @Davo, he’s the bloody macro king!

[Edit]: head tracking. Head tracking. Head tracking.

Have a look at head tracking options that suit your budget as well.  I’m running opentrack on my old android phone, Velcro’d to my headphones. It’s wicked.

[Edit 2/3/4/5 (why my link not insert??)]:

Here’s the whatsit I was talking about.  A general config for the extreme 3d – I used some as a base, but haven’t gotten into the switch/mode keys… I have enough trouble working out where the ‘any’ key in on my keyboard 😉

From ‘tinternet. Someone else did this. Yadda yadda, blah blah, credit goes elsewhere, first born son, mumble mumble, beer.

Sauce: http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/32zfyf/logitech_extreme3dpro_key_bindings_for/

Participant
        CenturionAngel of TradeAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

@nzsimian: Very nice work with the Logitech 3d button map.  Re Cyborg 3D, I loved that controller for flightsims (coz I’m a lefty), but I had a couple of wires fail two weeks into E : D 😮

@genisisx
        : You must have the thumb control of a surgeon if you can effectively fly combat with a gamepad – well done, you! 😉

Replying to @macca101 ‘s OP:

• As a student you’ll get great value for money out of Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.  In Melb/Syd you should be able to pick it up for ~$50AUD.
        • I got 3D Pro to see if I could fly right handed when my trusty old Saitek cyborg died after a decade of solid use. I’m liking it and its just as well as I haven’t had the time to go out and get a more full-on controller
        • If you’re cashed up the Saitek X52 looks the goods.  I _will_ get one of these sooner or later.  I think @damorgs is also after one of these
        • I’ve heard some bad stories about the Warthog HOTAS, and I think there’s some issues with primary/secondary weapons

Oi! That's Baron von Schnellenstein to you, mate. No, it doesn't matter that I'm an Imperial Prince!
      Participant
      Principes

Hi! I use Extreme 3D and a Logitech G13 Gamepad. It works, but for PvP I think I need to upgrade to a proper throttle. No headtrack at the moment but EDtracker looks very interesting.

-CMDR Evil Ed-

Participant
      Triarii

I use a 360 controller and I can bind almost everything to it and it works quite well. I have no complaints about my setup, cheap and cheerful 😉

-X

Eat Plasma!

Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

I’m using a Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas, it was well priced I thought, about NZ$100. I’ve noticed that one of the buttons on the throttle, that I mash a lot, isn’t responding consistently anymore. I’ve owned it for about 7 months. Beacuse of this, i wouldn’t really recommend it. But great hotas to use.

Participant
      Principes

I’m using Saitek x52 Pro. Works great, but need to do some magnet mod to increase sensitivity though.

Participant
      Principes

Using a saitek evo force here, works great though the throttle can be a pain as it doesn’t rest in the middle at 50% (ie 0% since I’m using full range rather than forward/reverse toggle) but rather at somewhere between 60 and  70%, so I can’t just set it at idle 🙁

LRUD thrusters on hat, roll pitch yaw on axes, and manual forward/backward thrusters on keyboard since I only use them for docking anyway. Auxiliary controls/those not directly related to flight/maneuvering go on keyboard.

Participant
      Foederati

Cheers everyone.

I ended finding an X52 Pro set on Gumtree for $120, got it for $80 so I’m pretty happy with that.

I do wish that it had another 4-/8-way hat thumb button on the throttle but I have more controls than I know what to do with now.

I’ll have to hop onto single-player for some study breaks and learn the ropes.

Participant
      Angel of DiscoveryCenturion

Wow, awesome find Nathan, that’s less than I paid for my Thrustmaster T.Flight (Bottom of the range HOTAS).

Good luck with setting up your key-binds and committing them to muscle-memory. 🙂

Keymaster
      SenatorFounding AngelAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.

I just went the other route and surgically implanted a set of extra thumbs on my hands.

six-fingers

I have a Thrustmaster Hotas X, I only get to play twice or max 3 times a week so it works fine for me.

Participant

I was saving up for a new house, car etc, but this seems the better option.

4 thumbs up.

Participant
      CenturionAngel of TradeAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

I only get to play twice or max 3 times a week so it works fine for me.

Any amount of buttons should be just fine when you’ve two extra thumbs :p

Oi! That's Baron von Schnellenstein to you, mate. No, it doesn't matter that I'm an Imperial Prince!
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.