New Graphics Card

Home --- Forums --- General Discussion --- Off-Topic --- New Graphics Card

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

Hey all, looking at a new graphics card for my comp.
      I have the AMD Radeon HD 5700, and I’m after some recommendations.

Looking at the Gigabyte GV-N970G1 Gaming-4GD GTX970. Waste of money, bad experiences, it’s the business, your input appreciated.

Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

I had a little bell go off with that card; apparently there might be an issue with the memory timing on it:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2875740/nvidia-explains-geforce-gtx-970s-memory-performance-issues-admits-error-in-specs.html

Specifically this:

Although the 970 has 4GB of VRAM, not all of that memory is created equal. The 970 has two different segments of memory it can access, as Nvidia recently explained to PC Perspective: a primary segment with 3.5GB and a secondary, slower one with another 512MB.

I can’t vouch for the card (either positive or negative), as I have literally no money to spend on anything these days…

EDIT: oh, and check the length of the card against your PC case – I forgot to, and had to upgrade the case when I bought my HD7870.  Mrs wasn’t impressed…

Participant

These are really good points, thanks for that Simian. Will check it out in detail when I can.

Participant

Mmmmm, purchased 🙂
      Gigabyte GV-N970WF30C-4GD. Just waiting for it now. Picked up another computer as well, to just use as a media centre, I’ll throw my old graphics card into it, it’ll run movies to the tvs, bittorrent etc, take that task away from the main comp.

*drool* Can’t wait to see ED on it 🙂

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Keymaster
      SenatorFounding AngelAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.

Mmmmm, purchased :) Gigabyte GV-N970WF30C-4GD. Just waiting for it now. Picked up another computer as well, to just use as a media centre, I’ll throw my old graphics card into it, it’ll run movies to the tvs, bittorrent etc, take that task away from the main comp. *drool* Can’t wait to see ED on it :)

Nice!  Make sure you set up Kodi and a few addons on that media PC, it Rocks!  And Steam, in-home streaming works VERY well.

Participant

Nice! Make sure you set up Kodi and a few addons on that media PC, it Rocks! And Steam, in-home streaming works VERY well.

Cheers Ping, having a look at Kodi, it looks really nice, liking the interface. Will set it up.

Participant
      CenturionAngel of Death

Nice! It’s got more fans than mine. Get enough of them, and your computer might be able to take off like a helicopter 😛

Anyways congratulations!

Participant

Haha, it did cross my mind 😉 Installed it last night, it’s huge, longer than the motherboard. I have been living in the dark ages, not realising my previous poor fps and lack of detail. Amazing upgrade, well worth it.
      Put the media server together too, looking forward to installing that.

Participant
      TriariiAngel of Discovery

Got my 970 (Gainward Phantom edition) early May… SO DAMN PRETTY!

Make sure you use downsampling instead of normal AA (mainly to get better FPS) and daaaaaamn the game is so pretty now!

Now i just need to get my joystick back (shakes fist at CPL) and i’m all set for ED again!

Participant

Ah, that is why you’ve been deep in the galaxy – it looks so good! I totally understand now.

Cheers for the input, I’ll have a look at the difference.

Good luck getting the stick back soon.

Participant
      TriariiAngel of Discovery

Trust me at this stage i yearn to get back and help the Angeli, or to make any progress at all.

But i’ve tried controlling my ship with M+KB and it’s… not for me 😛

I’m only 3k LY from the Great Annihilator at this stage so it’s a really, REALLY bad time for that to happen as well…

Anyway, i’m sure you’ll enjoy your card! and take plenty of pretty screenies for us!

Participant

Kodi is the business, thanks Ping! @mrping

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.