Unhappy camper

Home --- Forums --- General Discussion --- Off-Topic --- Unhappy camper

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

I may be forced to take a leave of absence.

This isn’t what I wanted to see this afternoon.

My venerable old girl is finally starting to show her age.

Pretty good run, for a machine I built in 2007!

Modifications along the way; more RAM, new GPU & CPU, SSD, but basically the same beast.

On the upside, the new skylake processors are out, so I may be in for an early Xmas present for myself.

Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Mercy – Participating in a AI relief mission.Angel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

Modifications along the way; more RAM, new GPU & CPU, SSD, but basically the same beast.

Sooo, same motherboard, power supply and box? 😛

No good though mate 🙁 However, a nice excuse to buy something powerful! Best you get it quick 🙂

Participant
      CenturionAngel of Trade

you know what bits I have available, I’m sure to say, if you find a motherboard for the cpu, I’ll send the memory and the heatsink along with it… just say the word. Your brother knows!

Participant

@ Sketchy;

Yeah, I guess there was the new PSU, since Mrs Simian blew up the old one, and a new case, since it was lying around.

And a new keyboard, mouse, monitors, speakers, gamepads, joysticks, DVD burner, SD Card reader, Media storage drive, Secondary storage drive, Scratch drive, Photos drive, headphones, printer, webcam…

So, essentially the same machine that I built 😉

@furstaide
      ; thanks for the offer – really good of ya!

I’ve kinda got my heart set on something built around an i5 6600K, it’s been an agreement with Mrs Simian that when this machine died it’ll be replaced with new parts.

@hazara
      ; you’ll be after the Q9400 for your kids?

Participant
      CenturionAngel of DeathAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement Mission

Niiice – I priced up a skylake a while back, glad I didnt do it in the end, did an i7 upgrade & found my weak point really was my gfx card…  In hindsight an i5 would have done me fine.

I’m sure I’d have a few DDR2 modules lying around if you want, I guess you know how to work memtest86+

Furstaides’ kit is nice, but the mobos are unavailable here.

Got a bit dark yesterday, the 1090T I’m putting together for JNR faulted… I reinstalled and this time I used diskpart to clean the disk first, its holding stable now – next trick is to tidy it up, get the cooling sorted & get that GFX card you gave him in there.

Participant

It’s… a little worse than I thought.

Here’s today’s backup results from my machine:

For those of you who don’t read Shadowprotect, this is its way of saying “You currently have no registered drives.  Good luck, sucker!”

I’m now concerned about shutting down the PC.

[edit]; no Shadowprotect doesn’t show a picture of a cat when it’s failing.

That’s just further proof that I shouldn’t get out of bed.

Participant

Oh. My. Freaking. Dog!

I’ve just dropped in a new mainboard, ram & CPU.

reinstalled windows

launched E:D

framerate is up, as expected.

But wait, what?  Um…

I always thought the sound was good in E:D.  But now.  Holy hell, what have I been missing!

Participant

Good to have you back mate 🙂 I trust you are enjoying the speed of a new comp again.
      Unfortunately I couldn’t say if my audio is working as it should…how can I test this?
      My media center is running optical leads and 7.1 surround. I could capture a video on ShadowPlay and play it back on the media centere?
      Yeah, that should work, thanks for the help 🙂

Participant

Just the crispness of the audio, and what I can hear now is amazing. Even through my headphones it’s great.

Participant

New PC

Some things I noticed tonight:
      Orcas sound like whales.
      The headlights on the FdL have convergence shadows (the nose of the FdL gets in the way a bit).
      Apparently it’s NOT pronounced “Friendship Drive”.
      The insignia on your commander shoulder appears to reflect your rank.
      It’s much easier to shoot people when you’re not hitting 10FPS in combat.

[Edit] And I’ve finally worked out what people meant by ‘Systems sound different’.

CenturionAngel of DiscoveryAngel of Justice – Participating in an AI Enforcement MissionAngel of Trade

You notice all sorts of weird noises and even that a grey persistent dot means a black hole within 200ly and a white is a dwarf star (in visible view when using headlook) especially when your out exploring

Assistant Angeli Imperial Custodian (Wangal)

Qui Desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum. | Quis custodiet Ipsos custodes.
      Nascentes morimur. | Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.